Flamboyant Tree

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda(Zone 10a)

My neighbour and myself planted two of these lovely trees three years ago, mine is much larger but has never bloomed while my neighbours blooms every year. They are in bloom all over the island right now, any ideas on how to get mine to bloom? They are planted right next to each other so conditions should be the same.

I have found that not all varieties bloom at the same time. Our also never bloomed until it was about 5 years old. So I would say - keep the faith, and patience!

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda(Zone 10a)

DH thinks we should prune some of the lower branches so it can concentrate on putting out blooms, what do you think? I saw a true yellow this year, will try to get seeds when it is time.

Yes I kept mine pruned while it was growing. It is a tree that needs to be shaped.

noonamah, Australia

I've never heard that name before, had to google it. We call them poinciana, they're considered an invasive weed here. But they're very popular in gardens. I've got a huge one which flowers regularly, never pruned, never fertilized, nor looked after in any way. I've always heard they flower better when neglected. Mine would have to be proof of that.

We also have a very similar looking one but it's yellow which we call Yellow Flame Tree, an unrelated species - Peltophorum pterocarpum. It's a native but also very common in gardens.

Here they go from pure dark red through orangy-red to what I call road-srtipe yellow, not many of those. I had one five feet from salt water and it bloomed at three year old.

If a tree is stressed, it blooms, like, you go whack the trunk with a stick to slightly bruise it. Might help to holler, "Bad Tree!!"

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Mine have been blooming since they were about 2 ft tall. I have them in pots (no choice), so that may be the difference. I also take off all the seed pods, and that seems to keep them blooming as well.

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I didn't know about trimming! I should take out the lower branches then? Mine is 3.5 years now...and growing tall.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2009 7:58 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

nevermind..I definately subsribe to the neglect theory!

noonamah, Australia

Now just don't go rushing into this neglect! It's a very exacting science and takes a lot of careful and long pondering in a recliner, preferably on a shady verandah while administering oral lubrication to the mind. A haphazard approach could well produce disasterous results.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, Yeah, but neglect allows me time to prepare wild animals for dinner with lovely feather garnishes.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm sending out the guys in white coats for both of you! Hope you like basket weaving...

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

we tear them apart to see how they're made!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

LOL...yeah, you would. LOL!

noonamah, Australia

Look out! She's onto us. We'll have to try and pretend we're normal until she stops looking. ;O)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, it's a lovely day today,
can you please pass the pepper!?

noonamah, Australia

Will that be with or without cockatoo feathers ....... ooops!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Let me check the stew, mmm..might I have them on the side please!?

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Shari, these two (randy and tropicbreeze) are a little nuts, won't you agree?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes Westraad...they are going through a goofy stage. But I asssure you, it is only temporary...well in black and white anyway, Randy has some definate goofy genes permanently attached to his psyche. It's what makes him loveable.

They are both incredible resources here on DG; knowledgeable, generous and fun.

Randy, was that a hint that you need more pepper?

Yokwe (although with some of this conversation it should be "Waaaay Yuck!!!),
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mahalo Shari! I need some hot sauce too!
You will be delighted to know, that my passport renewal went in the mail on Monday!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ooooh hoooh! HaPpY DaNce...doing the hApPy dAnCe!

Don't know about the hot sauce, but I can send you some pepper this week...

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...I like the ground pepper!.
so we will be bidding for 2010 holiday in Oct, I have 5 weeks. Mabe I can do Kwadj, or meet at Carols if she'll have us (course she will) That would be some dancing under the full moon!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You must be at the end of the Island chain...6 hours and 55 mins from HNL. my goodness..it would take me two weeks just to get there..okay ..exageration...But it's 8:20 from here to HNL, that would be two days travel ea way if everything went alright...

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

No, actually we are the second stop from Hono. Majuro, Kwaj, then on to Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk and Guam. Ha Ha...now you are learning why we don't come home much!

Ground okay,,,white or black?

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ground love...either one is good...wasn't there a mixed one?

Hmm...your right..shows only 1 stop...no kidding! that's something else.
Mabe we should meet at Carols on the Vernal exquinox

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes there was a mixed, but I can't get that in ground. Don't try to duck out...thought you were coming here before or after Bali????

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh I will be going there before Bali, Bali is not even in the cards yet. It will be
You & Carol. I can't see flying all the way to Kwadj and not seeing Carol. Mabe Carol will want to come with me.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

who's Carol?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Carol is Alohahoya, lives on the big Island Hawaii

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That would be awesome!!!! But she would have to take her morning walks along the beach, my meager garden wouldn't last but 4 or 5 minutes! Ha Ha. And, you can't get here or back without going through HI, so no worries about missing Carol if she can't make it out here. (I know the expense keeps most people away...pout).

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

True, I'd probably take her on a pass..I wonder how full those flights run...
I've load planned that Island hopper before and it's a nightmare trying to load destination bags for off load and onload to so many places.
12 non revs got on it today....looks like it doesn't op on thurs

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Depends on the time of year...sometimes it is jam crammed, sometimes you can stretch out and lay down. The loads must really be a nightmare! We see boxes, coolers, huge shopping bags, and you really want to strangle the ones bringing fish! Makes everything in the hold stink! Can't be any worse than the Aussie interior flights though. That Quantas Jet Star Airbus is the most miserable I have ever been while flying. Made us really appreciate Continental! LOL.

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh I hear ya...when I worked in Customs and Immigrations, the San Salvador flights had these cardboard boxes that were heavy as heck...and really stinky...I learned real quick, "Queso" -some kind of cheese that the restaurants buy here...

Mabe I should bring you back to Carols!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hmmmm...that would be cool! We have lots of time to play with possibilities...this will be fun!

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Indeed, and Brian just got promoted to Management an hour ago, so perhaps we'll have more money and I can stop working so much!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yippee! Congratulations Brian!!!!!

Yokwe,
Shari

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.