Finally can post almost new GH

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

1st 2 pictures may not be very good But I can finally post my GH pictures.

Thumbnail by LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I am posting these outta sequence so excuse me Bummer picture did not post.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2009 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

trying again for #2

Thumbnail by LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

oh well double post this should be #3

Thumbnail by LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

#4 will post the rest later
LOL

This message was edited Jul 26, 2009 10:43 AM

Thumbnail by LavinaMae
Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Lavina that looks great! How'd you do it & yeah I want to see more pictures! Gonna be putting any hibs in there? ;-)

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I have one tropical Hib that does not seem to have seeds so it will go in there.

LOL
Lavina

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Awesome...let the fun begin

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Lovely, it looks great!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Looks great. Let the fun begin.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I love it! Did you have plans for that, or just build on your own knowledge/experience? What type of wood did you use?

I have a garden shed that I've been considering tearing the siding and roof off, and using the corrugated material like you have and converting it into a greenhouse, but I worry it wouldn't be big enough (if I'm going to go through the effort, I want something sizeable and worth the effort ... e.g., a 10x10). I already have a Rion 6x8, and I know it's going to be chock full this winter, so I'm going to have to do something next year!

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Just built it. Got lumber at Builder's discount and fiber glass for walls at Lowe's. Its 11.6 by 11.6. Needed the green instead of clear for walls.
Builder's Discount in Wendell has the same lumber thats just out door stuff.
My uncle built a great one and used storm windows as the out side.
I have found out it gets too hot in the summer and I need something to produce shade inside. Went to over 120 degrees and that will kill plants in a heat beat. I even have a fan inside and it did not help.
I still have a lot to do to it.

Lavina

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Is the wood pressure treated? Or will regular lumber (e.g., what is used for building a house) be okay with the humidity? I have an 8x8 shed that is sided and roofed like my house that I thought about converting into something similiar, but the wood used wasn't PT, so I was worried it would be really susceptible to rotting w/the humidity inside.

Your's is beautiful! I'd plop a couple of solar lights in the corners and let it shine at night -- I do that with mine, and it looks gorgeous at night!

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Yelp its house wood. I like to look out during the winter when the gas heat is on and see the flame from the gas. Don't have lights in it yet.

I still gotta dig up my plants in Raleigh, I am so slow.

Lavina

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Well, if you have plants in Raleigh that you need help digging up, or perhaps a few that you just can't fit into that big, beautiful greenhouse, you just let me know. ;-)

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'm starting a greenhouse. Hubby is designing it. I got these 17 windows, double paned on Freecycle here in Kingman, Which I started 5 or 6 years ago and now have 1,000 members. I also got some wooden shutters today. So hoping to find more pictures of greenhouses made from old windows.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

I've been reading lots on the forums. I am a bit worried about my greenhouse out of all windows getting too hot in winter. I just want to overwinter palms and some annuals and use it as a potting shed in summer. Obviously ventilation is important. It could get up to 110 or higher in summer I bet with temps at 100 and topping 105. But winter temps are 40's mostly, some 50's and some freezing at night through a month or two. Now I am worried about whether hail which we have occasionally, small size, maybe up to 3/4 inch could break a double paned glass window as the roof?
What do you think?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I saw a beautiful greenhouse type structure in one of my magazines about 9 months ago that was made entirely of recycled windows, and all the trim was painted a hunter green. It was beautiful, and I thought of trying to do the same thing, except with a tin or other material for the roof (I have a LOT of trees on my property that would be in the immediate area and pose potential damage from falling limbs). If I can find the picture, I'll scan it and post it for you.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Wish you were close to me I have 20 windows I got from my uncle.
Storm windows work well on the sides and you nail thenm so you can still open them.
Hey lady I am behind with everything.

Lavina

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Where is Grantsboro, NC? I tried googling it to see where-abouts you are, but it couldn't locate it; only Greensboro.

Dahlonega, GA

Lavina , love your german shep . digger

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

Grantsboro............It's about 10 miles east of New Bern on 55

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

So about 120 miles east of Raleigh

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks. I found it later when I tried Mapquest, but don't know why google didn't find it. I'd not heard of it. Also, wanted to get an idea of how far it would be if she'd let me drive out and take measurements of her GH to try and build one for myself. :-)

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

We are in the country from Grantsboro 34 miles from New Bern we are on a small dog leg as the water goes out into the pamlico sound . We are 14 miles from Oriental and 7 miles from Minnisott Ferry.
Google Kennels Beach and it should come up. Or go to google world and put in kennels baech nc 28529.

Lavina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.