taking out the 'snowball' viburnum, rooting cuttings

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Our snowball bush has been savaged by viburnum beetles for the last few years. It has clung to life, but as an overgrown eyesore in the backyard, it really needs to go. I am going to try to root some cuttings and am looking for any tips anyone may wish to share with me.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Snowball bush can describe several different species of Viburnum, including Viburnum opulus 'Roseum' or 'Sterile', Viburnum plicatum f. plicatum, and Viburnum macrocephalum 'Sterile'. Do you know which you have?

Many viburnums can be rooted from semihardwood cuttings, dipped in 1000 ppm Dip-n-Grow hormone, stuck in peat/perlite or sand, and misted. There certainly are variations on this recipe.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I have no idea. It has leaves that look a bit maply. It has been here for 100+ years as the former owner said it belonged to her mother-in-law. Mrs. Brown, the daughter-in-law was born in 1900.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

By maply, I'm assuming you mean lobed like a maple leaf. That puts it squarely in the Viburnum opulus (and relatives) camp.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57586/

Depending on how much of the original plant you are willing to keep around, you could probably generate more than a few starts by layering branches on the ground, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.