Does anyone make their own incense?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I don't care for commercial incenses, they give me headaches likely due to non-natural ingredients and they're generally overpowering (not all brands). I love to use sage and rosemary for smudging, and in the winter generally kept a pot of water on the wood stove with cloves and cinnamon, etc. in it.

I'm in western CO for the summer and started making sage bundles (wands, smudge sticks) thinking to have them for myself, gifts, and maybe a holiday bazaar. I've never made them before, so started googling and before you know it, I'm learning all sorts of interesting new things about aromatherapy via incense.

This morning I collected bits of dead pinyon and ground them to a semi- fine powder, made a little pile, lit a match to it and oooo...what a wonderful fragrance. I used an old coffee grinder, which meant the pieces had to be really little and prohibits large quantity production. I'm wondering what I can acquire inexpensively to increase the amount I can grind at a time...maybe a small chipper first, then a food processor? I do have an old espresso grinder (commercial type) that I was considering trying...

Anyone else with an interest in natural incense?

This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!