two ID's needed

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

This seems to be some sort of Euphorbia - at least it bleeds a milky substance like one. Any ideas what it might be?

Thumbnail by ardesia
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think your on the right track, those leaves are huge !

This one came from Thailand and has a lovely gardenia like fragrance. Is it some sort of gardenia???

Thumbnail by ardesia

Another picture of the variegated one.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a variegated Gardenia, but the leaves are very glossy...that's not to say this one isn't...just info.

Thanks for the input. Leaves were nice but not particularly glossy like those on a regular gardenia.
The sun was really high and the picture of the white flower is not clear. Do you hae a picture of your flowers?

RJ you would have loved the plants at this guy's home; awesome does not begin to describe them.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, how are we so lucky to see these awsome plants in awesome places?!

My Gardenia has never bloomed, I looked for a picture but don't think I have one. at work right now.

Thanks for looking. I probably should post these on the ID forum but I trust the folks here to come up with answers too and I, for one, like seeing the unusual tropical plant material. The other forum is not one I regularly visit.

St. Thomas, Barbados

the first picture, is a euphorbiaceae, Synadenium grantii, common name African milk bush. i have a large one growing in my garden, and i had it for a long time before i figured out what it was, its quite attractive in full sun where the leaves get a reddish tint. it is supposed to be quite poisonous, and i have read that in some African countries it is associated with a kind of lymphoma in children who apparently use the congealed sap like plasticine and handle it a lot. since i found out about it, i no longer propagate it but i haven't cut it down.

Thanks for the heads up. I will alert the grower to the possibilities.

Keaau, HI

The 1st plant is Synadenium compactum 'Rubrum'.

The 2nd plant is Tabernaemontana divaricata 'Variegata'.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

D A V E to the rescue....goody. I was looking for you to check in!!!! I was thinking Pseudoanthemum (sp? ....) but wouldn't I love to have a piece of that....!!!!

Keaau, HI

Hi Carol, I have a tree of the Synadenium, you are certainly welcome to a cutting. They root easily.

You guys are always so helpful. My friends all think I am so smart because I can always come up with names for these obscure plants. LOL I must admit I am smart enough to know who to ask, right? :-)

Malvern, PA(Zone 6b)

Metrosideros is right about the second plant ID. It is commonly called grape jasmine or moonbeam flower in India- Ervatamia Coronaria
Link to this plant: http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/tabernaemontana_divaricata.htm
Rama

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Cool plants, Ardesia!
i agree with you, we got some really smart people on this forum, i'm not one of them!
Isaac

LOL, me either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.