Can anyone help me?

Elwell, MI

I have 2 hawthorn and 1 redbud tree all planted in a row. they are about 5 years old and each year the go from winter bare to summer leaves but have never had any blossoms on them. Why? I have never trimed or moved them

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Did you grow these from seed, or from small seedling plants?

It would not be unusual for plants that are only 5 years old to take a bit more time to have maturity enough to bloom.

Can you post a picture of these plants, and the situation they are growing in?

Elwell, MI

I got them from the National Arbor day foundation as little saplings. and yes I will take a photo tomorrow and post it. Thank you for responding.

You are quite welcome.

Yes, the National Arbor Day Foundation products are typically one to two year old seedlings, so your experience is pretty much normal. It takes a while for these plants to grow up and produce flowers.

Patience (while a virtue) is often one of the limiting elements in a gardener's N-P-K analysis...

It will be even more interesting to see your pictures now, since NADF has a habit of sending incorrectly identified plants.

Now, I can't wait...

Elwell, MI

Thank you, and here are the pictures.although I'm sure about the Hawthorn you now have me wondering about the other trees I received which I can't seem to identify. I am quite sure that one is the RedBud but have very little clue about a couple of others. I checked the "what's this Tree" site and still am unsure. here are my photos: #1 & 2 are the Hawthorn and the 3rd is a RedBud I think.

Thumbnail by mmgardening
Elwell, MI

the other hawthorn, they do have very clear thorns

Thumbnail by mmgardening
Elwell, MI

this is the RedBud I think,I used the leaf for idnetify

Thumbnail by mmgardening

You are correct on all three of those.

Elwell, MI

Ok with your help I know what type of trees I have, (redbud & hawthorns) now my question is, though they have never had blossoms and are at least 5 years old,can I or should I prune them and if so how much? (photos above)

You can prune them, and pruning for structure ought to be your goal. By this time of year, your trees should have set buds for next spring's leaves and flowers. So - pruning will remove some of those.

Prior to beginning this effort, take the time to do a little reading/research on what you are about to do, to understand techniques as well as ramifications of pruning to your trees. Your local Cooperative Extension Service should have printed brochures on this topic (your taxes have already paid for these), and you can find similar information online if you were to search for it.

I'd wait till after leaf drop, when you can see the whole branching pattern of the plant your are pruning. That would be late fall or early spring for you. Then, you can start working on pruning. Here's a logical order of priority:

•removing dead/diseased/broken branches first
•then crossing/rubbing branches
•then removing lower branches if you must have mowing space below, or for views/sight distance
•then reducing the number of branches close together along the trunk (this is typically called selection for scaffold branching)

You should NOT expect to accomplish all these goals at one time, during one round of pruning. On small plants as you've illustrated, I'd make 3-5 pruning cuts per season - and then stand back and evaluate your work. You can always take more off by pruning...but you can't put it back.

Elwell, MI

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful

You are quite welcome.

Good luck with training your young trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.