Wedding flower vine

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

This is growing in a 1 gallon pot now for 3 yrs or more,it needs to be potted up,but each winter,I just about lose it,mealy bugs love this vine!!!!
But each summer it fights it way back,after fighting the mealies with alcohol all winter.
Heres some early blooms,it is loaded with flower buds now,so I will repot for sure!
Very fragrant too!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Don, my Stephanotis is blooming, too.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Wow how strange is that!!!!

Strange? Is that strange, Don?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Seems everything blooms at different times in different places!
Your warmer earlier than me,so I would think yours was already done blooming for the
summer,unless yours blooms continuously!!!
Mine seems to bloom every other year!!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Tropicman, if you are not adverse to chemical .. bayer 3 n 1 cures everything .. it feeds, kills bugs and disease for 6 weeks at a time .. Everything in my greenhouse gets its first dose in October. Last year I had a bug and disease free greenhouse. Previously, by January I'd be in a pitched battle fighting whiteflies, spidermites and fungus. Expensive, but that stuff is amazing.

I also use it on the canna's, roses and confederate roses (it was like a miracle for the confederate roses which were always decimated by whiteflies and aphids by the end of July.

Malathion works too and is the least noxious of insecticide but you have to use it more often .. I like to use it on plants that butterflies, bees and hummingbirds frequent because it breaks down into harmless constituents within a week.

X

This message was edited Jul 24, 2009 4:02 PM

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL thats what I use!!!
I start in Late September with all my plants outside before bringing them in.
I also use Bayer complete granulars and sprinkle it on the soil before bringing them as well.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

And you still have mealy bugs?

Another trick I learned was to sprinkle some spectricide ant bait underneath pots about 2 months before I'll be bringing them into the greenhouse .. nothing more frustrating then then trying to outwit ants in you plants in the greenhouse.

X

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,now thats a great idea!!!!!

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

I get mealy bugs on the mandevillea and stephanotis sometimes. I use NEEM. It smothers them. If your plant is in a pot you can tip the pot over on its side and really spray good underneath the leaves and in the crevices on the vines where they like to hide. Keep turning the pot/ plant until it completely drenched then set it back up rightside and do the top. I have to do this a couple times a year but it really seems to work.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes I use the neem also and alcohol,in between the neem uses,it something you have to stay on top of they really spread fast!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

*sniffle* No buds on my regular or variegated...yet...

Patience, Chantell - PATIENCE!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmph! Patience?!? Sheesh....it had blooms already last year...and being in a 7A I only have so much time...LOL

Did it have blooms last year, when you bought it? If so, the grower has just the right conditions for bloom-setting.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...good question...I'll need to check my notes on it...brain goes MIA, ya know? LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Mine seems to bloom every other year,well it had a couple flowers last year,but it's loaded this year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.