How Do You Split Bee Balm?

Lapeer, MI

Hi!

I've got a huge clump of bee balm (Gardenview Scarlet, I think)--by huge I mean that it covers an area of 3'x4'--that I would like to split. Does anyone know how to go about this? I've accidentally pulled a stem or two and they all seem to have their own roots. Can I just dig up a portion and replant the stems, or should I be trying to find a main root system?

Also, does anyone know...does bee balm tend to become invasive in zone 5? I bought it from the nursery that I used to work at, and the perennials guru usually warns people if a plant can become invasive. This plant took over a big chunk of the bed!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It is not uncommon for perennial bee balm (Monarda didyma) to become invasive in the garden. It is therefore important to identify and control problem plants as early as possible.

Problem

A large established clump of plants shows vigorous growth at the edges, but no new growth in the center. New stems appear in other parts of the garden where they are not desired.

Cause

Bee balm is a vigorous perennial whose roots will spread rapidly in moist and fertile soil. Its natural growth habit is to send out suckers, or new underground stems, from the outer edge of the clump and to die out in the center.

Solution

Remove suckers. Divide the plant to rejuvenate it and control its spread. Divide the clump every two years or when it begins producing fewer blooms and the center of the clump dies back.

If stems are becoming invasive, drive a sharp spade forcefully into soil around the perimeter of the clump to chop off the suckering shoots. Pull up the severed stems and remove them from the garden.

To divide bee balm, dig up the clump in spring and use a knife or sharp spade to cut the actively growing edges into several sections. Discard the center portion. Trim off any wayward suckers from the divisions and replant as desired.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda is right it spreads very fast !!! the way I do it is I just dig it up and get rid of it I'v been giving it away all summer I have friends that WANT it to spread but mine is in a bed so I have to keep it under control or it just takes over ;0( I like it becouse the bees and humming birds like it and it makes a bold red statement its taller than I am (5'2") the clumps I'v given away have never missed a beat there still blooming :0) good luck and place it wisely !!!!!
Gloria

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

To help control monarda, spiderwort, etc. Plant it in a large bottomless pot; sunk into the soil, leaving just a bit of the rim above ground. Works like a champ.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i love beebalm of any color-but i have room to let it spread
i need some red and pink again!!!!
will trade!!!

when i move it-i just start on the edge and dig chunks up and replant in a new location!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.