Fosomax problems

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

I had a bone density scan about a month ago, and was diagnosed with osteopena (precursor to osteoporosis). My doctor put me on Fosomax (once a week).

The first week I took it, within 24 hours all of my joints ached so badly I had trouble moving around (I am only 46). Since sometimes it can take a few doses for you body to adjust to a new medication, I decided to continue with the Fosomax.

The second week I took it, I did not have the aching joints, but my legs from the mid-thigh down to the ankles felt like they were bruised. Just pressing lightly on the skin made me go "ouch" (especially when head-butted by my cat!)

This week was the third dose. Now the pain is just in the lower half of my legs, but more severe than last week. I have actually taken naproxin for the discomfort.

My question is this: Have those of you who have been on Fosomax had similar problems? If so, did they go away in time, or did you switch to a different medication?

I have also read that people having problems with the generic form of Fosomax had more problems than those taking the name-brand (I am taking generic). Have any of you had this experience?

TIA
Jeannie

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!