when to prune smoke tree?

Aurora, IL

Hi!

I have a Velvet Cloak Smoke Tree (I think - it's purple, definitely ). After some initial problems - half the tree died the first year - it's been growing beautifully. So much so that I took the advice in one of the forums here and cut the top back ten feet which resulted in much fuller foliage. Some of the branches are now blocking the sidewalk for anyone over four feet tall - I want to trim them but I'm not sure whether to do it now, wait until fall or winter?

Thanks for any advice!

December

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

With the vigor you are describing, it sounds like you could prune this particular plant whenever you needed to.

To split the difference: prune only as much as you must to allow passage of less height-challenged folks, and then save the corrective and aesthetic pruning till after leaf drop in fall, so that you can see the structure of the plant more clearly.

Cotinus coggygria is known for exuberant growth spurts. If you have this anywhere near paths of circulation, pruning will be an annual event.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Another consideration when you prune is the flowers and foilage color trade off. The best leaf color is on new growth but the flowers (and beautfiul 'smoke') bloom on prior season's wood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.