Fighting Euonymus Scale - advice needed.

Huntersville, NC

we have Euonymus scale and need advice as to how to treat this problem and hopefully save the plant.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I glanced at it in a Rodale book and the first suggestion is to prune out the infected parts. I have had scale but only limited. Raking out debris underneath is recommended to reduce overwintering bugs or eggs. This is all I've done. Maybe the problem is less severe up here.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Are you looking for an organic approach or would you treat with a chemical pesticide? If the scale is in the crawler stage you can use an insecticidal soap. Tap an infested branch over a white sheet of paper to see if anything that falls off is moving. If the plant can wait until winter a dormant oil spray will smother hard scale. What plant is infested? Different scales infest different plants and require different timing in treatment methods.

Northeast, IL(Zone 5b)

My Sarcoxie euonymus (euonymi? I had six of them!) had a bad case of scale. The local trustworthy garden center advised yearly treatment with imidacloprid (sold as Bonide Tree & Shrub insect control or as a Bayer product, the Bonide is less expensive). You mix the dose for each plant in an amount that's right for the shrub height with a gallon of water, and water around the base of the plant. I did lose two heavily infected plants, but the rest of them are looking good two years later. I treat them every spring to avoid further infestation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.