What is wrong?

Columbus, MS(Zone 8b)

Any idea what could be wrong with this Passiflora incarnata? I plant these for the gulf fritillary butterflies, and it is not looking too good!
Thanks!

Lucy

Thumbnail by bunkhouse
Columbus, MS(Zone 8b)

One more picture - the back of the leaf.

Thumbnail by bunkhouse
Columbus, MS(Zone 8b)

Last picture -

Thumbnail by bunkhouse
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Does the back of the leaves feel gritty? kind of reminded me of spider mites. Take a magnifying glass and check out the back. Something is leaching the leaf, or it's missing nutrients of some sort.

Columbus, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks! I'll check that tomorrow. Whatever it is, it sure is frustrating!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It might be our heat and humidity - mine are doing the same thing. I just pull the yellow leaves off. They should be ok when it cools down a bit.

Columbus, MS(Zone 8b)

Could be . . . The healthiest looking leaves are on the bottom part of the plant. It sure helps to know possible sources of the problem!

Columbus, MS(Zone 8b)

If it is spider mites, what should I do? I can't wash them off because I could also be washing off gulf frit. eggs. I sure can't spray it. Is there something else that can be done?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure how big the vine is, but if it is spider mites washing off the leaves is the lesser evil as the leaves should probably be removed entirely. Spider mites are not fond of water which is why out breaks tend to occur during hot dry periods. Are there other types of plants exhibiting symptoms?
I have some quick reference charts for Nutrient function deficiency, symptoms and solutions you can check out and see if you find anything similar to what you see.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/1624/

Here is how it will be set up.
1. The first line will be Primary Nutrient .....
2. The Second line is brief description of what it does
3. The third line brief description of symptoms
4. The fourth line brief description to correct the deficiency.

..so it will look like this

1. Nitrogen
2. Vigorous growth & dark green color
3. Light green leaves; stunded growth
4. Dried Blood meal, Garden Manure, Cottonseed Meal, Ammonium Sulfate, Urea

There are a few of these to help trouble shoot possible problems. If it's spidermites..well, I would wash or remove the leaves...
rj

Columbus, MS(Zone 8b)

That is really helpful!! Thanks so much - it's to the point and easy to understand. I've got it tagged now!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

good, glad it helps......I need to use it all the time!

Columbus, MS(Zone 8b)

RJ - You were right about the spider mites - I did not have a magnifying glass, so I did the 'white paper test' (shook a leaf over white paper and looked for things that look like pepper). The test was positive! I washed the leaves this a.m. and am doing it again this afternoon. I don't know about the vine, but I am feeling better already! (The cats were on stems, so I was able to avoid them.) Thanks again!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

good, glad you solved it. The cat eggs attach on pretty sturdy, so glad that worked out okay!

The cats have eaten all the leaves off mine! LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

they make quick work. One of my aristilochias was chowed to the nub

Here's one of them, taken just a minute ago - he's eating a stem!

Thumbnail by KayJones
Lake Butler, FL

I had a really big passion vine about 2 yrs ago and we got a lot of rain in a short amount of time and it drowned. I was wandering if you have had a lot of rain lately like we have? I did have one come back from the root this yr but it is growing slow maybe it will take off soon. I have never had any bugs on them, just fritillary larvae and once they find it they will consume it quickly. The passion vines grow wild here and they are usually in sandy soil where it stays dry a lot. Good luck with yours.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.