Help..My Clematis are dying

Burlington, NC

Maybe someone here can hellp me out. I live in Zone 7. It has been a very dry summer here. I have lost four of my Clematis and I can't figure it out. They seem to dye from the tip back. My Armandi came out O.K. not really strong and then half of the plant died. Now the other half is dying. I have it planted in the same place for three years where in previous years it thrived and was beautiful. I have other plants all around it to shade the root and they are fine.. I have also lost three others ll in different areas of the property all in the same manner. Although it has been dry here I do water daily but I know that doesn't compare with a slow steady rain. It has been a bad year with plants for me. I was disabled 4 years ago and got into this flower thing so there is so much I don't know and am always wondering if it is something I have done or not done. I put mulch around the root area this morning...why I don't know it just seemed like I need to do something to hopefully save my baby. Any help with this will be sooo appreciated.

Appleton, WI

One thing about thick, deep rooted plants is it's difficult to get water deep into the root mass. When it is so dry, you need to give them a lot of water. I put 4-5 gallons on each plant frequently.

Delaware, OH

clems need deep water less often. not sure about 4 to 5 gallons, i give a gallon or more every 2 to 5 days depending on season and weather. hot dry weather more often etc.
are there other plants besides the clems not doing well ,or is it only the clems? did the die back start early in season or now? was this after blooming, if so did blooming seem normal?
was any product used to spray or fertilize? if so, any details.
would need more info to have better questions and help you determine cause.
am interested in learning more.....

Appleton, WI

The best way to know how dry your soil gets is to dig down about a foot. Do this near your plants, but away from roots.

I've been watering that way since I started landscaping my garden. I moved a lot of stuff, which was a real eye opener, and I could tell how dry the soil would get. The only way to get the water into the root mass when the soil is very dry, is to give it a lot of water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.