Chickweed

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

This may be the wrong forum, but I can't find another one dedicated to growing "pests." If there is one, please direct me.

Has anyone ever completely eradicated chickweed? Every year it covers my perennial garden. I pull it and pull it... easier when it gets a little bigger, since the garden is not tiny. I try very hard to pull it before it blooms, and it looks like I'm pretty successful, but then the next year, same thing. If I go away for a couple of weeks I come back to a blanket.

TIA
LAS

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

OK, I'll re-phrase the question. How many folks have had NO LUCK getting rid of chickweed? If there are lots of responses, and no one claims victory, I'll assume that I just have to keep weeding, and there's no magic solution.

TIA
LAS

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I only get a few chickweeds here and there and they're usually in my containers so I just hand pull them, but that's probably not the answer you were looking for! LOL You might try the invasive plants forum or maybe even the beginner gardening forum. This forum is more about diseases or the pests with legs & mouths--for a pesky plant you may have better luck one of those other places.

west midlands englan,

Try Clovertox it kills clover in lawns with-out killing the grass, it allso works well on chickweed

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

You also might try a pre-emergent for broad-leaved weeds. Chickweed is an annual, and the pre-emergent will keep the seeds from germinating. You'll need to apply it at the right time, and I don't know what that is for your area. Down here, chickweed is strictly a winter annual, and they die out when the weather heats up. We apply pre-emergent for it around the mid-last of October, and sometimes repeat in January.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

a good thick layer of newspaper and then mulch on top will stop chickweed from popping up in the garden.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Sometimes it helps to use several different techniques such as the ones already mentioned. Also, you could try covering an area with a plastic sheet for the winter/spring to deprive the area of rain. Chickweed likes moist soil. Or try the vinegar that feed stores sell as a weed killer (it works pretty good during hot weather.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.