Suggestions for gift plants for an Atlantan

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Georgians!

I have an Atlanta friend who just got some bad news.

I want to send her maybe $100 worth of special plants to cheer her up.

She is an avid gardener, but I haven't seen her garden -- I don't know if it is large or small, sunny or shady. I understand she is a meticulous gardener and takes pride in her garden. Maybe shrubs that won't get too big since I don't know the size of her garden, and maybe ones that don't need full sun in case her yard is partly shady?

I'd like her to think "wow" when she opens the package. Something she might not splurge on for herself.

Any suggestions? I'm north of you and don't know what would do well.

Thanks!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy... You might want to discretely question her about her gardens..Atlanta area in particular has alot of Micro-climates...I had things in Chamblee/Dunwoody area that would not do well at my sons in Kennesaw, and vice versa...When I get back down there next month, it is going to be a wait and see as to how things will grow where we land..

Dusty

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Dusty. Thanks -- but for various reasons I can't do that.

There must be some plants that will do ok all over the city....

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

A gift certificate/card to a nursery such as Pikes or designated for her garden from Lowes or Home Depot? Maybe Burpee, Parks, or Jackson& Perkins so she could order Fall planted perennials and bulbs.There are nurseries recommended here at DG that may have gift certificates. If she is that meticulous, she may be particular about making her own selections. Shrubs take up a lot of space.

This is a very sweet gesture. You are a good friend. :).

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, but I don't want to give her a gift certificate. I want to actually give plants so she has something to open.... Maybe I'll send her a mix of choice hostas and daylilies....

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hostas and daylilies are a very good choice. For the hostas, choose ones that can tolerate sun more. Even in shade here, they will probably get some sun at sometime during the day. There's a good list here at Hosta Library. http://hostalibrary.org/lists/size-main.html Click on Sun Tolerant in the list at left. Daylilies do very well here.

Sure am glad to hear that Becky...I have 35 DLs all potted up and ready to move....LOL

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Dusty, you are going to need a separate moving truck for your plants... LOL

I ordered a big truck and threw out all the furniture so I would have room for them...LOL

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I think hostas and daylilies will be the perfect gift. I am biased, though!

Brenda

I agree Brenda...Either or both will do well there...

Any houses in your area for lease?? That is where I am looking...Austell, Lithia, Mableton over to Douglasville...but preferably more east...Everything I am seeing online is very expensive...Dmail me if you know of anything...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I was thinking of getting the top 5 on recent popularity lists (hostas and daylilies); it is hard to find one company that will sell more than a few cultivars on that list. I don't have a recent Eureka and don't want to make this into a huge project. Oh well!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

You could check out the Marketplace here on DG.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Daylilies and hostas are great choices. Sun and shade.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, EF.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I hope I am not too late to respond to this thread, but $100 is ALOT of hostas and daylilies. How about a special camellia? A pretty dark red one "Methonia Supreme" or "Chandleri Elegans Variegated". Better yet, a yellow peony "Bartzella". If nothing else, some flowering daphne for some winter blooms.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Either are wonderful ideas - I wish I could grow the camelias here. The Mathotiana Supreme is described at http://www.monrovia.com/learn/plant_catalog/detail.php?item_number=1867 -- but won't survive in my zone 7! Ditto for the Chandleri: http://www.monrovia.com/learn/plant_catalog/detail.php?item_number=1649

The Bartzella -- wow! http://www.monrovia.com/learn/plant_catalog/detail.php?item_number=3908

The gift has been taken care of ... thanks for all your suggestions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.