My Pink and Green Combo

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I have my colors chosen for my next flower bed. The plants are Limelight Hydrangea in the back, Echinacea Coconut Lime, Echinacea Pink Poodle, Echinacea Meringue, and Echinacea Merlot in the front. I will also use Razzmatazz and Pink Double Delight. I might include Green Envy if it looks better next year. LOL.

The one in the middle is a seedling that I have kept for 3 years because I like the green cone and soft pink blooms. I bet that plant has over 30 blooms on it now and is putting up new buds still. I think I like it more every year!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 12:01 AM

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

That sounds really nice Em. I think that color combo is why people like 'Green Envy'. Soft greens and pinks, very pretty. The different flower shapes will also look nice together I think, good choices. My 'Merlot' up here is about 5' tall, could be all the clouds and rain that made it reach for the sky. It is only in year two so next year I should see what the average height will be, but be careful putting this one in the front, it can get very tall.

Thumbnail by ngam

Do you have a Limelight Hydrangea? That is just a two year plant and it's 6-7 feet tall. I will keep it pruned some each fall though. I did like some pictures I've seen of Green Envy but after seeing the blooms lose their unique coloring so quickly I'm not so sure. I think I'll use Green Eyes instead of Merlot. It could be fun planning this.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

No I don't but have been trying to find a spot for one. I like the paniculata hydrangeas up here because the late frost does not effect them. I have 'Pinky Winky' and I like it very much but would like the green color some where also. Planning new beds and combos is a lot of fun, my fav part of gardening I think aside from seeing a happy result. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing about your progress with this garden. Does the 'Limelight ' tinge pink in the fall like many hydrangeas do? How wide does it get? Here is a pic of PW in first year. It is twice a tall and wide now. Just starting to bloom. It starts out white and slowly turns pink at one end. The flowers remain two toned and continue to grow throughout the blooming period.

Thumbnail by ngam

I love your Hydrangea "Pinky Winky." I bought one this Spring but the blooms have no pink at all. I think it had the wrong tag. It never gets any pink. I am going to try and order one, but I am worried about not getting the correct plant again. This one had the reddish stems and everything but so far just white blooms. :(

You could plant Pink Double Delight and Coconut Lime near that Pinky Winky and it would look awesome. I also noticed that both Pinky Winky and Limelight can take full sun.

Limelight is about 6-8 feet high. It looks to be about 4-5 feet wide but these can be pruned so they aren't so large. I saw some made into trees that were amazing. My idea was to have a Pinky Winky right beside a Limelight with all these double Echinaceas in the front. I really think this would work. I'll try it. I've already got a start with the beautiful Limelight Hydrangea. Now all I need is a bunch of new Echies! LOL.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

My PW is still all white too now. If yours has the dark stems it is probably the correct plant and will get pink pretty soon. Your whole plan sounds very, very nice. You are off to a great start and I am anxious to see the results next season. Shopping for new echies, oh my such a bother. LOL. :)

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I tried to grow the Hydrangea "Limelight" down here but it just wasn't meant to be. It was pushing the zones a bit too much and must really need winter dormancy. I gave it a shot for two years and finally tossed it about two months ago. I tried one other hydrangea and failed on that one also. I'm such a failure!!! LOL
The pink/green combination is a nice one though. I did a apricot/green combination last year and it looked super nice. It was with tall cutting zinnias named "Green Envy" and "Apricot Blush". The can be ordered individually or as a mixed seed combination from Renees Garden.

I got a new plant today...Drum roll....

I found a Pinky Winky Hydrangea on clearance at a local nursery! I was so glad to find one in full bloom so I could make sure it's the correct plant. I'm going to get right to work on my new flower bed. Yay!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

That's cool. That one seems to be a new popular one.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice find Em. I think your other one will color up too eventually.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Had to look that one up. It's a beauty! Nice find! Isn't it even more satisfying when you find something that great and it's on sale?!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.