anyone have pics of arabella....

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

i planted my arabella clematis today ,next to my magnolia tree.yup i guess i will move it later because this is more of a ground covering clematis.i had no idea i figured they all were climbers.so i would like to see how some people have used them in their gardens.thanks

Delaware, OH

arabella is new to my garden also. it is non vining which means it will need some support, but you will find it easy to coax into an upright posture with nice stems and beautiful flowers. traditional perennial supports may work for you, 2 ft high ornamental fence pieces may work well in the early year or two, as will tieing it in with a variety of methods, my preference being the lever loops.
arabella is very floriferous, many many booms and the color is superb....

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
New Richmond, OH

How does Arabella compare to Juuli in your garden CG?

Delaware, OH

Flowers have similarity , when I get back to my garden this weekend I will look closely at both plants ( both planted spring 09) and comment in detail and post comparative pic if there is detail of interest. Juuli so far is taller, but it was a bigger plant from ssv than the arabella which was a nicely rooted 4 inch pot. So wouldn't make a judgement on mature height potential yet..
Speaking of that, I just saw rooguchis as tall as 5 to 6 ft plus in calif and I thought a 3 ft one was doing well!

Lothair, MT(Zone 4a)

I have Petit Faucon growing in my garden. It is a non-viner also. I have it growing on a small obelisk-type trellis. I am not a diligent trainer, but it was an easy trainer! I just helped it get started and now it has filled the 4' trellis. I will try to take a photo this evening.

One of the neatest ideas I ever saw for clems was on a garden tour. The people had a large retaining wall on their sloped property. They had beds along the top of the wall at the level their home was sited on. They planted clems and let them cascade down the wall. So lovely. Me? I live on a flat slope, so would never be able to apply that idea here. But it was certainly a new take on the idea.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 4:55 PM

New Richmond, OH

CG has a retaining wall, with clems on top...and spilling down...glorious

Delaware, OH

thanks punkysmawma. i love growing clems on the retaining wall. even if they are on a structure vs spilling it puts a lot of the floral display at eye level as you walk by.....and i do like letting them spill over. i put more on that wall this year so next year should be good with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.