It's July! What's Happening in Your Neighborhood part 4

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Everyone is welcome to join in the chat! We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1014170/

Rann - smores are awesome and addicting! Yummmmmmmmmmm! That's a gorgeous rose!
Sally - I'm so envious of your temps! I can't wait for Fall.
Adina - Beautiful flowers!
Ric - LOL @ Mr. Wester. He was worn out from eating!
Mau - Orchids are awesome!
Rann- I know the feeling - too hot for sunbathing!
Adina - Great job on the article!
Joey - JW is adorable! He is just too cute LOL!
Mau - Look at the concentration on Zachary's face!
Celia - I LOL'd at the marijuana plant story!
Adina - I think you are going to be surprised when we all show up at your house for a bbq!
Marylyn - I hope you feel better soon and you get some much needed rain too!
Adina/Celia - I think Lucian is testing Marta for "Doneness"!
Celia - Lol at Darrell and "Randy"

77.9 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 71 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1500 ft
Scattered Clouds 4000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 68. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Could be a record low for Jacksonville tonight.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Hey, Sharon! Thanks for the new thread. The pot story is on-going. When we moved in he told Darrell he liked our 'pot' plant. When Darrell told him it wasn't, neighbor said, "Don't worry. I won't tell."

I heard a noise at my window yesterday and looked to see this.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I slowly went outside and found this. I've named him, "Tom".

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
When Darrell told him it wasn't, neighbor said, "Don't worry. I won't tell."

ROFLOLOL Never mind the sign, then. ^_^

(Zone 5a)

Celia - that is so funny about the 'pot' plant! lol Sorry about the annoying neighbors ... standing on a box to look into your yard is beyond rude ... can't imagine anyone would do such a thing here! Sheeesh! We like to respect people's privacy .... in fact, if you see someone "famous" as famous goes over here in the store or something, people will totally ignore them or maybe give them an averted glance at the most. When people are "off duty" they're entitled to being left alone.

Joey - cute photos of JW :-)

Mau - love the photo of Zac and Friday, so peaceful :-)

This afternoon it was cloudy, official high was 68°F. I went grocery shopping around 1 pm while the sun was still shining and it was so hot in the parking lot, that it actually felt cooler when we walked in the store! lol That's a first! lol This warm weather is great since hardly anyone can afford to travel abroad this summer .... it's like we got a slice of Spain home-delivered! lol Love it! :-) Unfortunately for the people up north and on the east coast, it's been miserably wet and cold in the mean time, highs barely reaching 50°F.

Here's a photo of Fríða getting caught with her wiskers in the flower pot ..... she thinks anything growing in a pot is her personal salad bar ......... lol

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

OK It's official this is a weird Summer.
Here's another Weather Warning I have never even heard of.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...cold air funnels possible this evening...

atmospheric conditions are favorable for the development of
funnel clouds this evening. these types of funnel clouds
typically last less than a few minutes and rarely touch the
ground and become tornadoes...but it is still possible.

the atmospheric conditions these funnels are developing in do not
support strong...damaging tornadoes. however...on rare occasions
these funnels can briefly touch the ground and produce minimal
damage.

the favorable weather conditions for cold air funnels are expected to
end this evening.
----------------------------------------------

How strange is that?

Kell I like the heat too.
I would be out.
Well I played golf at 111 in Vegas.....

Celia you need this Brick

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ric, I've had those cold air funnels around here before. It turned into a tornado and took down a barn about 5 miles from here.

High of 76 today but a bit humid so it still felt somewhat hot. I did some gardening today but for the most part just lazed around. Was at a concert last night and of course my voice is a bit off today and I'm still a bit tired. lol.

Jason Michael Carroll luving up a Harley Softtail that is up for a raffle.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I forgot to add we did have some rain today.
A T-Storm dropped about 1/3" so we are good for a few days.
Temps dropped from 82 to 70 in 15 minutes.
It's down to 66° already going for the upper 50's.
It was 56° this morning.

Adina I'll pass on the Carp. They basically aren't edible here due to pollution.
Maybe farm raised ones I'd try.

Oh we won a Mary Kay basket as a door prize at one of the Gardens we toured.
Maybe that Pink Boat was an omen......... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Celia - Your new tenant is a cutie! We have a cardinal that comes to our office window everyday and taps on it. Maybe your neighbors are taking clippings from your plant and trying to smoke them LOL! That’s why they can’t get their info straight!
Rann – Fríða is just sniffing the plants – kind of like Celia’s neighbor LOL!
Ric – That is odd…a cold air funnels hmmm
Pepper – Did you win the Harley?!

72.7 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 67 °F
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 72 °F
Visibility: 4.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Patchy morning fog. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 86. Southeast winds 5 mph increasing to east 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Doesn't look like jax will make a recod low. They have 5* to go in about 30 minutes. It pleasant outside though!

Mr. Wester...what can I say? he was thirsty lol!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Sunny again this morning! breezy and 62°F at 11 am :-) I'll be frying in the sun again today! :-)

Sharon - oh she does more than sniff the flowers, she likes to taste them too ;-) lol Her own personal salad buffet in her opinion. Her favorites are my roses ..... I'm not happy about that at all! Fortunately she stays away from my flowerbeds .... but the potted plants are fair game to her. I tried spraying the roses on the patio with cayenne pepper last summer, can't remember if it worked...... think not. LOL at silvester :-)

Ric - interesting about the cold air funnels, hope nothing touches down.

My roses are loving this weather! This is a new one this year (one of very few), Blue Moon. Impossible to pass that one up ;-)

Have a good one!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, as yesterday, I did go to Real Estate and get all the information what I told them...

Hopeful, I get sign the paperwork for house on market later on as today for sure (just get paperwork done and measures the house and yard also metal shop garage oh also tree down, too! So, I ask 'as is'...

Raining here now!

Took this pix on 15th:

Daylilies

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 7:39 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rann I love the shot of Fríða. I googled the name. Good Choice!
Wish we could do more w/ roses that's a nice one.

Sharon a cat's gotta do what a cat's....... lol!

Rusty are those full open?
Good luck on the house.

56° when I got up.
We're heading for 81°
We got a little more rain last night.

And we must have had some kind of a cold draft.
There's a limb down right next to the new deck.
Nothing big maybe a 3 incher.
The other 2 are still up there. Can't get too them. Can't afford to have them gotten.
There's tons of limbs below them so best guess they fall in Jon's yard.

I'm still editing pics from the tour.
Here's one from 'Hydrangea North' as they call the place.

Off to clean up the yard.....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

That is full open.. Very weird flowers! lol...

(Zone 7a)

Rusty, Good luck on the house. Pretty daylily!

Ric, can't wait for tour pics. Those hydrangeas are huge. I need a BUNCH of those bricks! LOL

Rann, Fríða thought she was being sneaky. LOL I wouldn't have been able to pass up that rose either! Wow!

Sharon, your cats are just like mine. I had to get a special mug that said, "Another mug for may cat to drink out of."

78.3 °F with 92º for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 47 °F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 °F
Clouds: Few 16000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Osteospurmum 'Orange Symphony'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: thanks for the new thread-- Pea and Prissy look so cute on their pink satin "blankie"
Celia: love the on-going story about your nosy neighbor and the "pot" plant--ROFLOL "Randy and Darrell" are just too funny! BTW, what kind of bird is that?
Orange Symphony is my kind of flower!
Ric: love the brick--just what Celia needs! That Mary Kay basket was quite a coincidence after the "pink boat"--LOL Your photo shows why they call that place "Hydrangea North"--Lovely!
Adina: great article about your gardens--loved all the photos. That carp looks a lot like catfish steak--whatever kind of fish it is, it looks yummy!
Rann: your bunny is so cute but I can't spell her name because I don't know how to make that 4th letter :^( Blue Moon is lovely--same color as my Angel Face rose.
Rusty: good luck on the house!

We've jad a thunder shower this morning--supposed to do this most of the day with 80% chance today and 60% chance tonight throughout most of the state. This will cancel our plans to go and see the drum corps demonstration in Van Buren tonight. I'm not driving 150 miles in the rain only to find out they have canceled the performance! Besides I don't really like driving at night in the rain even if it is freeway all the way. (There are TONS of 18 wheelers which travel I-40)

Currently 72º and light rain. Our high today is forecast to just be in the high 70's--amazingly cool for July in Arkansas!
To give you an idea of how much rain we've had just today, take a look at this picture. This is the reason I moved the tree roses from this circle bed and put in the EE's which Ric gave me.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Glad you like the flowers, Mau. Here is the whole basket.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Sorry. It's a baby Robin. The mama was on the ground waiting for him.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Celia--very pretty flowers and cute baby robin. :o))

Kelli: I meant to tell you that on The Weather Channel last night they had a piece by Jim Whats-his-name (Cantore, I think). He was in Death Valley and he measured the heat on a slab of asphalt there--It was 130+ degrees Fahrenheit on the asphalt. He then broke an egg onto the asphalt and after 10 minutes, it still wasn't fried--so there goes that theory!!! LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

65 º and raining. It wasn't supposed to rain till tonight! Oh well, we can use it. I was starting to water the astilbes and this helps.

I have 4 heads of cabbage sitting out and am going to turn them into sauerkraut. I have a 4 gallon crock, (that I cleaned in my sink with no dividers!) that is ready to go.

Adina, beautiful! I love the sunflower just waking up!

Mau, ROTFL! It is hard to catch up!! The orchid is beautiful! I love the shadows!

Rann, 70 º is perfect weather!

Ric, LOL over the castor story! Thanks for the link to Adina's story. Sometimes I don't feel I have time to do anything but my threads. That was my ''stop and smell the roses'' moment!

Adina, I hope all your cuttings do well for you! I love the living fence idea and bravo on the fruit trees! No one seems to replant them any more! There used to be at least two trees in every yard around here when I was a kid. No more.
We have followed the building of the new house and the creation of things as you did them. I didn't put together, how much work you have actually done.What a wonderful home you and your family have created!! Everything is beautiful! Toot Toot!!

Joey, poor pup! Isn't this cool weather wonderful! JW is having a great time! Lucky boy! Uncle Garret is a handsome guy too!

Mau, how neat that Zach and Friday have such a bond! Those connect toys are fun!

Celia, I am screaming with laughter over the pot plant. Oh my! You do have some neighbors! Beautiful sky!

Adina, I'll bet the BBQ was delicious!!

Marylyn, you sound like my daughter and her spring sickness that just kept running thru the family. They are finally well. I hope you get well too! I hope you get rain. You're in a drought aren't you?

Adina, ROTFL over seeing if Marta is done yet :o) What a fun couple!

Kelli, Mythbusters did it and yes, you can, enough to qualify as fried.

Sharon, what an adorable picture to start us off!! We are cool for another week. I can't believe it. I put the winter blanket back on the bed and pulled my soft flannels out.

Celia, love the shadow picture of Tom! Your neighbors are something else. How big a box do you suppose they could find if you raised your fence? But then, you wouldn't have any good stories!

Rann, you are the most tactful, thoughtful people! ROTFL over Frioa! That is a cute picture!

Ric, we have the funnels here too, but I've never seen one. This is weird weather indeed! ROTFL!!! I want that brick too!

Pepper, hope I don't see one of those funnels! Oohhh, nice pic!!

Sharon, I missed the story on Mr Wester. He's a pretty one! Thirsty for bird soup LOL!

Rann, Blue Moon is nice!

Rusty, good luck with selling the house. It will be one less thing to worry about. I love daylilies!

Ric, nice shot of the hydrangeas!

Celia, love the mug!! It's too humid here to grow thw osteospurmums, but I love them!

Mau, I'm with you. The drum corp would be neat to see in person. They do incredable moves!

I caught up, I caught up!!! Quick! Select all, copy, paste and send!

(Zone 7a)

Nice neighbor's usual spot is about 5' to the right of the arbor. I was to the left of it under the Castor. He has to move just about to the edge of the black fabric section to see the maple.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Then, all he sees it this. I don't know how he can make out leaf shape from there. It's up against the house under the window.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 12:39 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

After seeing the wall, I've collapsed in a fit of laughter at their desperate attempt to not miss a thing!!

You must get a picture of them peering over the fence.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOLOL!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I just realized what the title of this thread is. Ask Celia's neighbors!!

Celia, I think you need to get your own box and see what they grow in their yard!

(Zone 7a)

I've seen what's in their yard. NOT impressed. I can see where the fascination comes into play. Our yard is...ehem..."higher" than theirs. So...they can stand on their patio and look at us over the 6' wall. Hence, the buckthorn hedge.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!

I was going to write"after seeing how high the wall was... " and started laughing again. I thought I best rewrite it or it could go on forever!

Well, it's still raining and I've sat here too long.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

ROFLOL at Celia's nosy neighbor's!! We should all be that lucky--NOT!

It's been raining here most of the day--sun came out about 3:30 p.m. for about 45 minutes then we had another downpour about 5 p.m. Now that has stopped and the sun is shining again!! Talk about "on again, off again"!! However, I still think I made a good judgement call about not driving 2 1/2 hours to see the drum and bugle corps---maybe next year. Y'all should check that out on youtube--awesome!!
It's called "dci" (Drum Corps International--they have their own website, too).

Currently 74º and sometimes rain, sometimes sunshine--something for everyone! Have a good evening, everyone!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is a YouTube clip showing highlights from last year's DCI championship contest in Indianapolis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D4t5g2x_jE It's not the same as seeing the whole shows live, but at least it's dry. :-)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good clip, Marylyn! It makes you wonder how many hours they all have to practice to achieve those moves! My DGD showed me the clip from 2006 which showed the Santa Clara band doing their routine from Phantom of the Opera--it was amazing!! I can't seem to find it now. Although the video was a little fuzzy on that one, it was still worth watching all the way through.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

DCI auditions are usually in the fall or winter. The kids get their music way ahead of time so they can start memorizing it. They start doing weekend practices once or twice a month in the spring. As soon as school is over for the year, the kids are at the drum corps headquarters (aka "camp") for the whole summer. The first contests for the big corps are in the middle of June. The Championships are the second weekend of August - just in time for most of the kids to get back to their high school marching band's band camp. The smaller corps accept kids starting at age 13, but most the bigger corps on the YouTube video have a junior corps (or 2) for the younger kids that has a much less rigorous schedule. You age out at 21. I would have LOVED to join a corps, but we couldn't afford the tuition.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Our rain is just peeking into the radar.
Should be about 15 hours of it once it starts.

Well the main sections of the new Deck are assembled.
We just have a few diagonals and a small square to finish up.
Would have finished this afternoon but had to make a supply run... errr.
Looks like tomorrow will be a rain out.
May just do some grocery shopping and try out the Zuc's on some breads.
It's funny we have 12 plants.... don't ask... and only 2 Zuc's.

I'm editing the Garden Tour shots but hit a snag.
The third garden is owned by a couple of Hydrangea fanatics.
Well labeled and placed so I got some killer shots.
I think I've added 14 or so shots to Plantfiles. One I had to add the plant and all.
So that has slowed me down.
But I'm thru them now so it should be smooth sailing.

Still uploading I'll BBL to comment.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Good Morning all!

It's 63* and we got a little under 2'' of rain yesterday! It never stopped.

The drum corp kids are amazing!

Ric, love the downstair shot!

Busy day ahead, gotta go!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Gee, must be nice to get rain!
We got rained on in Mankato while setting up for market. It rained south of us. It rained to the north.
Nary a drop here!
Another sunny warm day in store for us.
We will be out hooking up the irrigation lines for our vegetables.
First day in a long time we can work on our schedule instead of being pushed by someones demands.
Later,
Bernie

Rann - Beautiful rose!
Rusty – Good luck selling the house! Cool lilies!
Ric – All the hydrangea blooms I’ve seen this year are off the charts huge! Looking forward to more gardens pics.
Celia- Sylvester has made friends with someone in the neighborhood. He has started trying to drink water out of the faucet and my glass. Bad boy! I need one of those mugs for him LOL! I told Jeff about your adventures with the neighbors. We were cracking up! Such bad behavior from them though.
Sally – LOL! I think it’s all happening in Celia’s neighborhood!
Marylyn/Mau – I enjoy watching the drum corps too. They work very hard and are all very talented.

74.3 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 68 °F
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 °F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Patchy fog in the morning. Becoming partly cloudy. High 88. East winds 5 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Moss Rose

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good morning, all!
Marylyn: Unfortunately, many times finances (or lack thereof) prove to be a problem when one wants to realize a dream.
Ric: great stairway shot--makes me dizzy, though. LOL!!
Bernie: sorry you didn't get any rain. We've had enough for a few days.
BP: hope your busy day will also be a productive one--I'm certain that it will. :o))
Sharon: I love the bright colors on Moss Rose!

We are heading for a high today of 87ºF. Currently 67ºF and partly cloudy. The hotter temps are creeping back in--supposed to be up in the low 90's the rest of the week.

I'm off today for 3 days in Hot Springs, AR. I have a girlfriend who lives in a house on Lake Hamilton and she has invited me over to spend a few days. It has been several years since I have seen her so we have a lot to catch up on. I'll try to check in with y'all a couple of times while I am away. Everyone have a good week-end!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have a great trip, Marilyn! :-)

Sharon, I'm drooling over your moss roses.

It's been cloudy and humid for the past couple of days, but the rain has gone around us, too. The soaker hoses are running right now, so it will probably rain today. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (2 min ago)
Temperature 80 °F 27 °C
Dew Point 75 °F 24 °C
Humidity 87% - Back to normal!
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.7 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling 2500 ft 762 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 87 °F 31 °C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0°F / 25.0°C

Today Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then a 20 percent chance after midnight. Lows in the upper 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau have a great trip!

Sharon love the Moss!

Celia your neighbors need to get a life! Of their own.....
Love the Orange. We've never tried that species.... hmmmm...

Have a grey and rainy day going here.
No yard work for us.... lol!

That WAS a pretty steep stairs.
I lucked out on that shot.
The flash was accidentally left on. That created the shadow/deoth affect.

I got the shots from Garden #3 uploaded.
It was a bear as there are dozens of Hydrangea and I had to edit, then ID (took tag shots), label,
then I uploaded them to Plantfiles.
It's a quirky Garden but I think you will like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157621759630206/

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Those are some great pics, Ric. Thanks. It's funny what you notice when you're home all day. LOL

No time to really catch up. Enjoy yhe stories and pics.

83.1 °F with 96º for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 45 °F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 °F
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Mourning Dove.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Mau – Have a wonderful time with your friend!
Marylyn – Thanks! It’s funny the MR’s are that bright in color. My friend who was here last Saturday kept saying I was photo-shopping the colors. When she saw them in person she was blown away. The pinks are off the charts hot pink!
Celia – I agree with Ric…dratted nosy neighbors! Sweet mourning dove!

84.7 °F
Mostly Cloudy

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Ya know? This street is normally very quiet. Our realtor called it a "pocket of civility" and it really is. Most times nothing is happening but, BOY, (LOL) when it does!

The dove let me get pretty close. I had thrown down some seed for them and the quail.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.