Can someone please give me the name of products that has:

Crestview, FL

I talked with some one about pest control and was advised to get a product that has Perethrin in it, and another one that has spinosad in it and to get Malathion for the really bad bug problems. Does anyone use a product that has any or some of these in it that I can use in my vegetable garden for the bugs that are getting out of control?
joy

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Joy, what are you trying to kill? It would be a good idea to contact your county agent for specifics. They can tell you what product is best for a specific pest problem.

Crestview, FL

themoonhowl: I did and they said to find a product with Perethrin, and also one with spinosad and if I needed the big guns to bring out the product that has malathion in it. I need control for aphids, thrips, leaf hoppers, japanese beetles, etc. I really don't feel like going to the hardware or garden store and reading a hundred bottles on the back to see which ones have this stuff in it, spending my money and buying one that really doesn't do it for me, as I have been using Sevin Spray and Fertilome Triple Action Plus, don't like the dusts at all. So; easier to ask other's what they use that has this stuff in it that works for them right? LOL

My neighbor says Spectricide concentrate in the green rectangular can (he hasn't used it in 20 years thought), and I have heard of Triazicide once and done and Bug Be Gone; but my neighbor says the Spectracide is better, the Bug Be Gone didn't work for him.

So, does anyone have a name that I can go ask for and get at the store or at a nursery?
joy

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Joy, Spectracide and Triazicide are the same thing and not for use on food crops. The only product I found for home use, with spinosad is on the following link
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/monterey-garden-insect.html. There are many pyretherin products on the market, usually in the organic section, and can be used on food crops. Hope this helps

Carol

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Oops! Forgot to mention the Bonide Borer-Miner Killer that I just bought. The active ingredient is permethrin.
Carol

Crestview, FL

Carol: Thanks, I went to the nursery and bought some malathian to mix in my sprayer for use right now as the bugs are taken over and this is the big guns I'm afraid that I'm using right now, I only hope that it doesn't harm my bees. I will look for what you are using and give it a try if I need something a little later which I'm certain I will.
joy

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Greenlight makes a product with spinosad. Spinosad is effective on thrips, leafminers and caterpillars. It is toxic to bees and fish. Pyrethrins are for quick knock-down and kill on contact but have no residual effect and are in some Greenlight brand products(fruit tree spray has pytethrins and neem oil). For Japanese beetles, take a bucket of soapy water and knock the beetles into it, they drown. Milky spore spread on the lawn will kill the grubs that turn into beetles, but is most effective if everyone in the neighborhood treats.
Lowes and Home Depot sell Greenlight products and some local nurseries probably do too.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Joy, most of these products WILL harm bees! Make sure you do your spraying in the evening or very early morning when the bees aren't present.

Crestview, FL

Carol: Thank you, I'm in a rain storm as we speak, it's supposed to lift Saturday and I usually spray in the evening after the sun goes down when I spray, as most of this stuff says to not spray when there is sun out because the spray will not have time to dry and could burn the plants, so have always done it in the evening to make sure it is dry by morning time. Thank you for all the information, it has been very helpful, I'm new to gardening and need help sometimes with choosing a good product.
joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.