Ozark Foothill's

Doniphan, MO

I love this place.!! Never seen a web-site with so much information. Hopefully someone live's in the area so I can learn about the soil, I'm used to good topsoil,but here nothing but ROCK'S and CLAY Thing's that are established here seem to do well. Hope yaw "hillbilly talk" can stand all the question's. Dale

Thumbnail by possum6
Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome, Dale! We grow a lot of rocks and clay here in KY, too, lol. We do have a lot of good topsoil in our woods, and when we want to plant something, we hack away some rocks and clay and rake in the topsoil. That's about all you can do.
Yep it's amazing how much there is to learn here at DG. Enjoy! Did you tame that little bird?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Welcome possum6, I'm in the Arkansas Ozarks south of you.
Yep these hills have got the rocks and clay. My clay is red.Think yours is grey.
One good thing about rocks is they make great above ground beds The work stacking them is great exercise.LOL I'm sorry to say that is probably the best way to garden here.
We add a lot of things to amend our soil. The last couple of years. i kinda gave up and have been slowly buying large flower pots and readymade soil. August is a good time to look for flowerpots as they go on clearance sale.
i have used leaves and grass clippings for a compost pile, That takes awhile.
Good luck and be seeing you. Daves is a great place to be. The info here is unlimited seems like.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

hello and welcome from upstate new york.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.