? on privit

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi,
A friend of mine called me and told me that she is ripping out all her hedges as they are bare on the bottoms. She told me to take the flowers that are by them as they will be destroyed when they yank the hedges. I know the shasta daisies but the purple ones I don't know what they are.
I know the lillies but I don't know what type of lily they are.

As for the privit, I think it is privit. Is there a way to propagate these easily or is it complicated. Can I just cut 6 inch stalks and strip the bottoms, pour rooting compond on them and stick them in the dirt like I read about online.

Thanks folks.

Joel.

Thumbnail by penth2o
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

The purple flower looks like hyssop to me but it's hard to tell. The orange floweres are some kind of daylily I think but there are so many varieties I just don't know. Could be common ditch lily. Yes, you can root cuttings of privot just like you said. After I dug up those bushes I would cut them back by one third and replant in good soil and water in well. Don't plant too close together and allow for them to have more room to grow. It will help eliminate all that bare growth at the bottom.

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks Loon,
I found out the purple one is Catmint. I guess I will just have to call the lillies lillies if there are so many of them that you cannot id them.

The privits I just want to snip and propagate before they have a crew come in and waste them. I have no time to dig and move those.

Joel.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I grow catmint. In fact I have a whole row of it along the ditch. Mine stands up tall and yours is laying down on the ground. Has something been sleeping on it ? Maybe it's a different variety. Bees love it.

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

This was growing big and was spreading out. It had all new growth coming up the middle. She had fish line tied around it but it was laying on the ground.
I'm thinking it was too close to the privit hedge and was reaching out for any light it could get.
There were a ton of bees and the big black bumble bees on it when I was ripping it out and dividing the clump.

It was waist high if you held the branchs up. I divided it and planted it. When I did I cut it down to one foot. Am I right in thinking when you transplant you cut down so the energy is not spent on the flowers on top and concentrated on the roots below?
Is this true with all plants. If so I have to show you some deer damage and get your advice on it.

Thanks brenda.

Joel.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I love catmint. It is probably my favorite perennial. It's so carefree. I leave it up all winter and in spring I cut it to the ground and let it grow up from there. The deer hate it. The bunnies hate it. The beneficial bees love it.

Yes, I would cut it back when transplanting. The best time of year for moving things around is in spring before they put on a lot of growth. This summer it's been so cool that you can get away with moving things around without much shock as long as you water them in well.

Here is a picture of my catmint taken earlier this year.

Thumbnail by Loon
Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Very nice Brenda,

Deer don't like it? Carefree? I'm in. I hate deer with a passion.

Good to know about moving them in the spring but sometimes I don't have a choice like this time. She is going to rip it all out in a week or two so I thought instead of wasting it I would transplant it. I have friends that are always changing their yards (that I don't understand) and they know I'm just starting mine so they call me before they hit the burn pile or have them hauled away. I need lots. so far I have only started the front. I haven't even look at the back. I need to whack another 70 trees down to clear for space and light.

I'll pick your brain on propagation soon if you don't mind.

I think I'm getting hooked on this gardening thing. I just took another three personel days off.
I have some friends that called and they have some flower beds & shrubs that are going to be removed. Gotta get these transplanted now or I will let them lay for weeks & die. I wish I was retired or better yet stinking rich so I could just putz around in my yard all day.

Shoot, with as many days as I have been taking off I better look at my time put in as I might have to do more time in the end to retire. That is a ways away though and the retirement laws change all the time. I will probably get screwed in the end anyways.

Thanks Brenda.

Joel.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Till you get your beds ready to accept your "gifts" from friends just dig a trench somewhere and heel them all in there for now. Make sure to keep them well watered. When you get time in the fall or next spring to figure out where you want things to go they'll be fine and you can dig at leisure as you need them.

There are many plants the deer won't bother. They hate most herbs and won't bother things like lavender or salvia or snow in summer etc. The aromatic stuff usually. There are websites out there listing them all. They love hostas and roses and daylilies. I have to keep mine sprayed with Liquid Fence regularily to keep them away. We're always fighting something..........weather, bugs, deer, rabbits......etc. It's a challenge but when things come out nice it's wonderful.

Good luck!

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Brenda,would you want to trade some of that catmint?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

I also thought you might find this helpful Joe

lipm.illinois.edu/weeds/WeedstoWatch.pdf
Birdie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Joel,
here's another

http://www.for-wild.org/michigan/spottedknapweed.html

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi birdie,

No, I don't want to trade any of it. I had to buy all those and have just enough to make a row along the ditch. It doesn't multiply fast for me. The clump just gets a tad bigger each season. I plan to buy a couple more to plant by the mailbox. The mail lady will probably kill me because they attract bees but it will look nice. :) I put old roofing shingles around each clump and poured a ton of mulch over that so they're kind of sealed in there and the weeds can't grow in between them. My old farm grass is so tough it grew right up through landscape fabric. :)

Good links birdie!

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

yours are beautiful Brenda, and I know what you mean about farm grass!~! where did you purchase yours at, if you don't mind me asking?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I bought the plants at a local nursery here in AuGres. It's called 'In Season Landscaping' on US-23. They were around $8 or $9 a gallon pot if I recall. Cost me a small fortune to buy enough to go down that ditch but so far they've been a good investment. They are tough and long lived and no maintenance other than a good haircut in the spring. I'm not fond of having to dig things up and divide them all the time and so far I haven't had to do this for these plants. If the time comes I have to do that I'll get help and take the divisions and plant them around the vegetable garden on the outside to draw in the bees for pollination. Hopefully, it will get rid of that awful grass that keeps creeping in around the perimeter of the garden.

I don't recall the variety of catmint these are.

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the help and the links.
More late nights up reading the web.

Thanks again.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

found this in tinkers
Deer Deterent:

3 eggs
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp tabasco sauce
2 tbsp Caynne pepper
3 cups water

In blender puree allow mixture to fermint for 3 day. Spray or Pour around plants needing protection.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

gezzzz Dori that sounds like it would be a deterent for any thing!!!
Gloria

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you Dori,
I will mix up 5 gallons this weekend and let you know how it does in a few weeks.
It gonna be a lot cheaper than that liquid fence I'm pouring down the drain. Too bad that stuff didn't have a fertilizer in it. I would be all set with the amount I spray.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.