Can anyone help with info on Texas Laurel tree?please

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I got some seed pods from my MIL tree. She said it was a Texas Laurel. The pods have red seeds in them. How would I go about planting the seeds and growing the tree?
When hers blooms it smells like perfume and I think the blooms are lite purple?
Any info would help me!
Thanks, Elizabeth

Weatherford, TX

I'm no expert on them, but I have heard of people cutting into the seeds and soaking them before planting them. I've heard they are very hard to grow from seed.
Most grow very slowly, but are worth the wait. I'm sure you know they are poisonous so you should probably wash your hands well after handling any part of them. I'm attaching a picture of one I found on the internet. I have one, but it is only about 4 feet tall and doesn't bloom all that much yet.

Thumbnail by Sugarplum1
San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

I had no idea they were poisonous! That's good to know.
That picture is it. I thought it would be fun to try and grow. Thanks for the info. Good luck on yours, they smell great:) and are very pretty.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

ejennings - They are gorgeous, aren't they?! Here's the Plant Files link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55062/
I live in South Georgia, & purchased one last year after a visit to Texas. I still have it in a pot - waiting to decide where to plant it! I finally have (decided), so it will go into the ground this fall - I hope it lives!! It did have 2 small blooms this spring, so I am optimistic! It seems some of your local nureseries should be able to find you one, if they don't usually carry them. Good luck! Samantha

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

graceful- thanks for the link. It was very useful. I had tried to find it but couldn't- so thanks!!
I'm going to try the seeds and hopefully get a tree to grow:)
Elizabeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.