Move plugs?

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I put in several plugs a couple of weeks ago of the 2009-2010 echs, now I think I've decided that I put them in the wrong place (Great.)

They are all doing well and I hate to disturb them, but I don't really want them there. So it comes down to move them now and risk disturbing a small plant that might die from it or wait until they are bigger in the spring and move them then after they are already completely established. I don't like the idea of doing either, but I really want to move these guys!

So, what's your opinion, knowing that we are hot, hot, hot these days? I'm certain they aren't established yet, I'm thinking it will be fine to go ahead and move them, but boy, oh boy if I'm wrong, I'm going to be crying in my soup! Flame thrower, Coral Reef, Tangerine Dream and Firebird at risk here!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I might move all of them except Coral Reef. If that sucker is living and growing, let it be for now! Flame Thrower is a very vigorous plant. I'm sure it could be moved easily. I moved my Mac n Cheese a few weeks ago. It never even showed any signs of stress. It is growing better. I started it out in a shadier spot and moved it forward to get a little more sunlight. The good thing about moving these now is they will be so easily moved. The roots aren't too deep and you shouldn't have any trouble getting them all.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm just not into moving anything and have never done it with a plant in the ground. If you absolutely have to move them for some reason, I would think moving them next year would be a lower risk. The only exception may be if you just planted these in the past one or two weeks and they haven't grown much at all. Perhaps it would be OK as long as dig out a large enough area where you are sure you're not disturbing their roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.