Agave, Century Plant, American Aloe, Maguey 'Mediopicta' (Agave americana)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Agave, Century Plant, American Aloe, Maguey 'Mediopicta'
Agave americana

Provides great color to a landscape.

Thumbnail by Kell
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Kell,
Do you think this photo would be better placed in the Opuntia gosseliniana entry page since the central focal point is of the cactus?

Xeno.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Xeno.
I was actually going to post it to both. LOL I loved how it just brightened the green landscape and gave some life to that opuntia.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes it does add some great color to landscape. I've had a few Mediopicta's, but they just will not survive the summers here.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Here they take over. Spread all over. Way too many runners. I believe I saw about 4 from this one and it was not even a big one.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

What are you going to do with all the pups?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh this is not mine. LOL. Though I bet I could buy one of those pups. I wonder how long it would be happy in a pot.

I could never have one of these agaves in my yard. They grow HUGE here and really do take over. I have so many plant needs, I can't be tied to such a huge plant. Though maybe this variety does not get as huge as the Agave americana var. marginata.

My planted yard is a rose heavy mixed with tropicals. All my succulents which are many are all in pots.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Did you want one? I can see if I can get one for you.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

No, but thanks for offering. 1. I don't have room for it to grow because I would want mine in the ground. 2. It would be to hot for it here, probably wouldn't live long. I haven't seen ANY of these here locally.

Xeno.

El Cajon, CA

Then try A. americana medio picta alba. That one stays much smaller also in the ground and can stand our heat here in El Cajon without any problem.

Jordi

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Tried that one Jordi. It burned up in July. It was even shaded from the afternoon direct sun.
Example: Today it was 116F, yesterday it was 115F. And Phoenix has one of the highest UV ratings.
Xeno.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2009 2:18 AM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I hope you wear total body sunscreen!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I use to wear it when I would go to the lakes & rivers.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

How do you now protect your skin with such a high UV rating? I wear sunscreen and I am still way too tan. I already have had skin cancer.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I used Bullfrog high spf rating. I don't go in the sun much anymore, just a little bit. Had too many people that I know get cancer, so I decided not to tan as much anymore..

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I try not to tan too but hard to garden all day without it being overhead. LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Exactly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.