Porthole to the Surface

Tipton, IA

I finished this window a few years back and absolutely love it and thought maybe I would share it with you all to get inspired. The window is now in Florida in a condo a long the ocean front. The client for whom it was done for was at odds with under-the-sea or above-the-sea so we took the best of both worlds and came up with the pictured. We had just come home for a snorkeling trip in Cancun so I was very inspired and thought a lot about the project while gone.

Size is approx 31" x 43"

The under the water scene is as you would find it in true life. The sea creatures in the window are absolutely stunning in detail and are made of the finest glass available. The sea turtles in the top middle of the water are sand carved into the glass to give them a off in the distance look. The window has flashed glass (very expensive) which was sandblasted and painted with glass enamels and fired in our kiln to make the fish look realistic. The manta rays are gracefully swimming, while the octopus is lounging around. The coral in the window is matched up to coral we found in the ocean while on a trip snorkeling.

In the middle of the window is a porthole to the surface where dolphins are jumping out of the ocean and seagulls are at play in the sky.

This window from the day we started to design the pattern to finished art work was around 212 hours.

Thumbnail by crystallclear10
This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!