What's your favorite always reliable perennial for sun/shade

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I thought it would be fun to share your opinion on your favorite perennial - you know, the one that always returns and looks good year after year? Any newer plants that so far have been great for you? Please share them!

Mine is Salvia May Night and Purple Coneflower for sun
Ligularia The Rocket for shade and Heuchera Frosted Violet for newer heuchera for shade

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Lorraine Sunshine -1st perennial daisy to bloom as well as longest blooming, nearly all summer.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Rudbeckia - sometimes survives for two seasons, reliable self-seeder.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

This Rudbeckia is the patented perennial one -

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

and the Purple Coneflower (note the spoon-petalled sport).

Thumbnail by jmorth
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I agree with jmorth coneflowers are great and the bee's love them

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Rudbeckia just screams summertime with their bright colors!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

And of course daisies

Thumbnail by BeaHive
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I also have tons of coneflowers and rubeckia - more than any other flowers in my garden. I would also recommend liatris, which looks great with coneflowers

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I have to agree with Medinac about the salvia May Night. That plant was on my property 7 years ago when I bought the house. It took me several years to identify exactly what it was. I love it because it starts blooming early with the earlier perennials, and if you keep it deadheaded it will continue to bloom all summer. It self seeds, but not agressively, so you can get a few new plants each year, and it doesn't need a ton of sun. It does have an odd smell, though. Here's a photo from June 8 for those who aren't familiar with it, it's the purple flower.

Thumbnail by cindyeo
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

jmorth - Lovely Lorraine Sunshine, especially paired with the lillies.

cindyeo - Your May Nights are nice and big! They look great next to your foxgloves. In this area you see alot of purple coneflower mixed with May Night Salvia and Rudbeckia. It's gets kinda redundant but they are a great pairing - and oh so easy and reliable for our weather. There's also alot of Russian Sage and Catmint used. I personally can't grow Russian Sage for anything

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Rudbeckia and Shasta Daisies and salvias are my favorites. And Daylilies of course!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.