Nasturtiums in salads!

London, United Kingdom

As a Horticulturist who also loves cooking I try to grow nearly everything we eat in the vegetable department.
It always astonishes me that so many people spend hours of hard work growing Nasturtiums, and yet they do not know that the leaves and flowers are delicious in salads.
The leaves are slightly peppery and although the flowers do not have much taste, the colours look stunning in a salad, yellows, oranges, reds and we even have pink ones!
This year I grew some for my wife to try for the first time, although she was a bit dubious at first.
I had put some Basil and Garlic last year into an old Olive oil bottle and filled it with Olive oil, then left it for nearly a year, so it was ready, all I had to wait for was the Nasturtiums.
They came out en masse, a riot of colour; so with some nice "Little Gem' lettuce, our own tomatoes, golden oregano, cucumber, croutons, sliced up Nasturtium leaves and my year old Olive oil, I made the salad, finishing it off with loads of different coloured flowers.
The taste was extraordinary and my wife instantly fell in love with the Nasturtiums, so I doubt anything will be left on the plants as my wife will be raiding them!
If you do grow them watch out for cabbage white Butterfly as they will destroy them.
A photo I took this morning, the reds ones my wife has already picked.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
This thread has 21 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!