Dividing Clematis?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Can I divide my clematis? It has gotten very big, probably because it isn't pruned regularly.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What type of clematis do you have? Multi-trunk vines? Picture?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Jackmanii, a myriad of vines.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jackmanii is an evergreen and a group I clematis. It doesn't require regular pruning. That said, mine is 5 year old and each year it's growing larger and larger. I found that its blooms declined this spring. So I just pruneed it back to keep it in bound. Hoping for better turn out next spring. I'm not an expert, just a fellow gardener sharing my experience.

Remember, it blooms in the spring. So it's best to prune immediately after the flowers are faded.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

I would start by pruning it. From what I've read, Jackmanii is in Group C and should be cut back to 2 strong buds on each vine in March. They do get huge otherwise. (Not trying to contradict you, Lily_love. Maybe it depends on what zone you're in?) I don't have a Jackmanii, but my mom had one when I was growing up in Colorado. Check out this website: http://www.homeofclematis.net/html/pr_01.htm. Lots of information there.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ImaMes is absolutely correct. I was thinking Armandii when Jackmanii was the subject. My error! Apology is in order.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I was thinking of this Armandii:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

The link didn't work, but I can google it and see what I find.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Try this one:

http://www.homeofclematis.net/

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

From there, you can go to their Pruning page or look up Jackmanii. Hope that works.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Caitlin I tried to divide a 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' last year for a trade. The mama had large, healthy multiple vines - and each time I tried to divide it, the section I pulled off the main vine croaked. It was really a mystery to me...I wouldn't try to divide yours unless you don't mind possibly killing the new one.
And also, I wouldn't try to divide it now, maybe in the spring right after/before growth starts. Although, I could be completely wrong on that!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I think I wouldn't mind killing a little bit of it, as I don't plan to dig the whole thing, but maybe more study is called for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.