My worm compost is ready!

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

It took a while but boy, is it worth the wait! This morning I was finnaly able to get some worm compost, the bins had been sitting for about 4 months without any food, they were actually on my neighbors house in the garage since I was overseas for about 4 months. I already used harf the compost in one of my raise beds the other half I will use when my maters are ready to plant outside. I also was able to collect about 2 milk jugs filled with compost tea, great for plants, and 100% organic!
Attached is a picture of the worm castings, great stuff if you don't mind worms. :)

Thumbnail by carminator1

Looks great, let us know how the plants respond, too. I have just begun using my first finished batch also, and am looking forward to the results.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Gardenza:

I was wondering, is yours pretty mushy. Mine feels a little like wet clay, I am not sure if this is normal or if I am supposed to do something different.

This is my first time to 'finish' a bin, so I don't know if my results are typical, but my finished mix was definitely wet. I separated the worms by exposing the bin to the sun, and scraping off the top layers as they dried, but I noticed it took a very long time for the mix to dry out-much longer then the other soils around my property. I also put in a lot of the decomposed granite that passes for soil around here, so my mix had a sandier consistency when it dried.
What did you put into your mix?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Mainly shredded paper, and food scraps such as lettuce, tomatoes, coofee grounds, tea bags etc... put a little bit of water, to make it a little humid and that was it. Mine was pretty wet as well, I guess this might be normal. I did not let mine dry though, just scoop it up and place it in the garden. I actually separated my worms by hand, it was a hard task, I am sure some of them ended up in my raise beds but I actually wanted to have some worms in the raise beds as well. I was able to save 2 big 1 gal jugs with compost tea which I hear is an excellent nutrient for your plants.

My worm bin started with a handful of worms-maybe 50- and I gradually increased them, feeding them odds and ends for about a year. Now I have a ton of worms, so I'm hoping the whole process can move a little faster!
Sorting by hand is definitely slow and patient work! Did you notice if you had a lot of worm pods? You will probably have a ton of worms in your raised beds now, which is a very good thing. They can keep on improving your soil, as long as they have something to eat. That worm tea is definitely excellent, but I don't think it keeps very long, so use it quick.
I have made my new bed out of the straw, pig poop, and goat 'raisins':>) from my pen. I soaked it well, then let it sit for a week. It got HOT, too hot to touch, but when it did cool down and I put in the worms they burrowed right in, happy as clams. So instead of bedding, they are living in a constant food supply. I will throw in the coffee grounds, tea leaves and food scraps too. Hopefully they will continue to increase and I can have some good useable stuff in a couple of months.
Are you going to make another bin?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

well my husband bought me another container and drilled holes on it, I was trying to replicate the pricey can-o-worms, the only thing is that the worm medium does not touch the base of my new container so I am not sure if this will be a problem or if the worms will just go up into the new box and bedding, I'll have to research more and find out how this system works. By the way why do you say compost tea only keeps for a little bit, does this mean that it does not work after a while? I know they sell it commercially and it can be pricey. The bed you've made sounds wonderful, I am sure your wormies will love living there.

I have heard that the tea will go bad, kind of like juice going sour. I may be wrong, maybe we can get some better advice on the worm forum. After I wrote you last time I read there that you were starting another bin. I've never done a layered type before, so I don't know if the worms will climb up or not. I sure understand about making your own, it's amazing how much something 'store-bought' can cost! My little guys seem very happy so far, it's good to know I'll have more useable stuff soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.