spider mites on pole beans

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

What if anything can I use to get rid of spider mites on pole beans? I had 4 towers that were producing heavily, and before I knew it the mites wiped out 2 of them. I just pulled them up and replanted, hoping for a late crop. But the other two are not bad- I have been misting them a lot, especially undersides of leaves, knowing they don't like that. Years ago I think I used nicotine spray, and something else that I can't recall. Any help will be appreciated.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Insecticidal soap and neem are two organic things you could use--the trick is to thoroughly spray the undersides of the leaves since that's where they live, and you may need to repeat a few times to really get the infestation under control.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, ecrane- I have never used neem oil- will it damage in heat? Our temps are right at 100 here now- of course I would not spray in the sunlight time- probably late evening.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure--I don't think it's as bad as some oils but it's still probably best to apply it when the sun's not out. And if you just get it mostly on the undersides of the leaves that'll help too. The only time I've used it is in the winter in my greenhouse and haven't had any trouble even on sunny days where it got pretty warm in there (80's or so) but that's not quite the same as using it in 100 degrees in full sun!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.