Weed sprays

Brentwood, NY(Zone 6b)

This might be a bit of a 'duh' question but do weed-kill sprays kill flowers as well? Between work and the rain I can't seem to keep up with the weeds. If I'm lucky I've been able to get in one good day a week working on the gardens. It seems like I'll clear out a good patch of weeds but by the next week they're all back again. I've barely gotten a quarter of the beds covered in mulch and it must not be deep enough as the weeds are coming right up through it. I finally have a whole weekend off so I was thinking of using something like Preen Weed & Grass Killer spray on all the weeds first thing then covering with mulch once the weeds have started to die off and then putting down a good layer of Preen Weed Preventer. My main concern is that if I accidentally spray one of my flowers it will kill it. The beds have some or all of the following: Daylilies, Coreopsis, Gaillardia, Gladiolas, Creeping Phlox, Pink Heath, Marigolds, Impatiens, Lonicera and Clematis vines, and one Rose vine in the front bed.

New Boston, NH

It all depends on how much you spay onthe plant but with reasonable care your losses will be minimal.We do what we have to do go for it.

South Hamilton, MA

Yes it does. Did someone say that Preen should only be used in spring?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You can but be very careful. Spray up close to the weeds and wait for calm air. The Preen weed prevention will only work on germinating weed seeds.

Brentwood, NY(Zone 6b)

Okay, thanks. I do plan to be careful where I'm spraying. I'm just mostly concerned about accidental spraying. I'll keep a watering can with me then for a quick washing if necessary. I know the Preen only works on the germinating seeds but I figure a, if the weed plant itself is dead then all that would be left to regrow is seeds and b, anything that might help in preventing new weeds from showing up is good. Thanks everyone.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i only use weed be gone on weeds in the lawn - do not want to take changes in fower beds - i choose to bend over and pull them out

North Augusta, ON

A trick for spot spraying:
Put an empty toilet paper roll over the weed and spray down into it or cut the bottom off of a pop bottle and put over the weed to spray down into. That way even if it's a bit breezy the neighbouring plants will be safe.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

You can use a piece of cardboard or something to place between the weed and plant while spraying.
I don't use herbicides in the flower gardens. Ya gotta yank those weeds roots and all.
Andy P

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Yanking is hard when they break off without the root.(my grass)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

One way to manage weeds is to hoe them or weed-whack them down prior to flowering. I leave the weeds in place & mulch over them. Yes - the perennial weeds regrow, but this helps me deal with the weeds during those times of growing exuberance. I think of it as a free component for composting. This is great for the orchard & those out of the way places that are less frequented. The veg/cutting garden & all the borders get hand weeded. It has taken a couple years to get the weeds under control. Less every year.
Also easier to pull the day after it rains, or, after watering the area.
I feel like a weeding expert - lots of experience.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

If the weeds are not too tall try a Hula hoe. It's fast.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Andy - why do they call it a "hula" hoe? I'm imagining Sarah rolling her eyes and wagging her tail as you are doing the hula while hoeing....LOL

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds interesting.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Sure does, Deb!! LOL

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've had this tool for years. No idea why it's called Hula. It works great when used every few weeks.
It skims along the soil cutting weeds just below the surface. I clean up 300 square feet of veggie garden in 20 minutes. Cut the weeds below the crown and they are done. No need to rake up the debris, either.
Andy P

I have the same one. Great tool.

South Hamilton, MA

I've seen it called 'stirup' hoe. Handles are too long for us shorties.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Dh uses ours to help out, I'm too short to work it right. The grass is never ending.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

So how short is too short?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm 5' 6", works fine for me.
This thread is about weed sprays, maybe we should get back to the subject.
I use vinegar for lawn weeds and Round Up for poison ivy away from any good stuff. That's it.
Andy P

Brush-B-Gone is even better for PI.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

debilu- 4'11"
Any ideas for grass spray? It's killing the hands pulling the nasty stuff. I'd be happy if something could slow it down.

Grass by itself or mixed in with good stuff?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

please define "good stuff" Victor. =:0)

Hee hee - plants you want! That's a tough one.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

oh. =:0)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i sprayed down some brush be gone just the other day to clean our an area infested with pi and where i plan to build a compost bend like the one kassia showed us last year - round-up will not get rid of pi only the leaves and it wil be back!

And often you need two doses of BBG. PI is tough stuff.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

grass growing IN the good stuff. Of course right where it doesn't belong. It's worse than any of the other weeds!

That's what I thought. Yes - it is the worst weed and I have had a major problem with it. There is a product that is supposed to kill the grass while leaving other plants alone, but it did not work for me and now it's tied up in a toxicity study.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I lifted and divided an iris today, I'm hopeing that pulling the roots under it will help slow it down.

West Warren, MA

Great idea for applying weed killer....use an empty gal. milk jug, slice off the bottom..leave top on if you still have it....oposite the handle and depending if you are right or left handed...make an oval cutout....
You easily hold it over the weed and no overspray....
Works great!!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Round Up worked the first time on PI for me. The stuff I missed was sprayed a week later and it's ALL gone now.
Vinegar kills grass when sprayed while 'weed' is in the sun. White vinegar with a 5% acid content, it should be on the label. Vinegar does not hurt some plants, I cleared a strawberry patch of grass with it. Do a test IN THE SUN. You will see results in 30 minutes.
If grass in mixed with good plants, lifting & dividing is the best solution like Jumper did.
Geraldine's idea for the milk/water jug is a good one.
Andy P

Yes, separating by hand is the best method, though labor intensive.

I like oil and vinegar on the dandelions!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Straight vinegar doesn't kill dandelions, maybe adding some oil would work.
I have a dandelion tool, lol. It's a 2 prong fork on a 4 ft handle that cuts the root a couple inches below the surface. Three or 4 trips around the lawn in spring keeps them in check.
Andy P

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I'll have to try the vinegar on the wide open spots. Even if it slowed things down, it would help.

Hee hee - I was joking, Andy. I like them in my salad!

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Victor, you need to eat Dinner!

I am serious, though. I pick the dandelions (I don't spray any chemicals) and add them to the salad.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I know you are serious about your dandelions. I eat them too - but you reminded me that it is time for dinner! have you ever sauteed them in olive oil with Garlic? I am not that brave...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.