Rhizomes Without Leaves, Will They Grow Or Are They Dead?

Hebron, KY

I have some rhizomes that I planted last year, but I don't have green leaves on them. Are they dead or will they still grow?

I was wondering if I should just dig the rhizomes up, throw those out, plant new ones or just wait another year.

Thanks for your help!

Marilyn

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

well I would say if you planted them LAST year, they are gonners.
If you planted them recently, more patience is in order.

Lebanon, OR

I agree, but if it is one you really want, then do this as I just found growth on one of Blyths that has been in the ground 18 months, with no green...

I scratched around and here coming from the very bottom of the rhizome is some green leaves.

You can try, but on the whole the answer is it is a goner, but with Keppel, and Blyth I never give up until they DIE!

D

Hebron, KY

FrillyLily,

That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

Hebron, KY

Denise,

We posted the same time. :-)

Thanks for your help and insight! I really think they are dead. :-(

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

well just to be on the safe side.
maybe for next time, you do know that bearded iris should be planted very shallow?
If you 'plant' them, they will die.
the top part of the rhizome should still be visible

Hebron, KY

Frilly,

I planted them 'on the shallow side', maybe a little too shallow. Oh well. : (

Thanks again!

Marilyn

Lebanon, OR

An old timer in the business of iris (meeks) told me when planting an iris think of a swan on the lake, the neck (fans) the rhizome his body sitting on the lake (the dirt) gave a great visiual picture without seeing it.

D

Hebron, KY

Thanks Denise for your last information, I'll try to remember it when I plant Irises!

Marilyn

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

More than once I've thrown an old 'mother', desicated and apparently a goner, into the woods. And sometimes, just maybe, in the next year or so, I'll spy some green growing in there. Viola !!!! Don't recommend it, but it happens. (Which is one reason I throw dem old broads into the woods )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.