Habanero Gold Pepper Jelly Question

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I made the below habanero pepper jelly & it came out wonderful. A beautiful golden color. Very, very peppery HOT, but delicious. Since then, I need to make a lot more to both keep & give as gifts. Since the recipe only makes 4 cups, I was wondering if it's OK to double to triple the recipe. I'm rather new to jelly making & don't know if doubling would work or not.

Habanero Gold Jelly

1/3 cup dried apricots -- finely sliced
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 Cup Red Onion -- finely diced
1/4 cup Sweet Red Pepper -- finely diced
1/4 cup habanero peppers -- finely diced
3 cups granulated sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Individually, cut onion and seeded peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure each ingredient; add to apricots. Stir in sugar.

Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well. Pour jelly into hot jar, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe rims. Apply lids.

Process 10 minutes in BWB. Cool upright, until lids pop down, about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but the jelly is still hot, carefully grasp jar without disturbing lid and invert, twist, or rotate each jar to distribute solids throughout jelly. The jar can be inverted temporarily but do not allow it to stand upside-down for prolonged periods.

Repeat as necessary during the cooling/setting time, until solids are nicely suspended.

Yield: 4 Cups

Thumbnail by jomoncon
This thread has 86 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!