Beautiful Speckly Japanese Morning Glories!

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Let the Speckles shine. :)

The correct term is speckled and refers to the spots of color.

Thumbnail by gardener2005

These are all hybrids or crosses that were grown out and selected.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Pretty!

Thanks!

Here is another and I`m unsure why it is part blue and part purple. :)

It`s a rainbow of speckles. :)

close up.

szarvas, Hungary

What a beauties ! Karen
But they look like small flowers - isn't it ?

Yes, these grow outs so far are kikyo and small flower long vine type crossed with Fujishibori. I`m working on some large flower different colors in the speckled pattern as well.

Karen

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Do you have any seeds for trade or SASE?

szarvas, Hungary

Karen,
Have you see on the Kyushu forum ,somebody make a cross Kykiosaki Ten Ten ( Q 751 ) with a blue Speckled
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/beckygardener_1214707255_230.jpg

Here is the link , after translating I don't understand anything.
http://mg.biology.kyushu-u.ac.jp/mg-files/cgi-bin/sbu2_bbs/sbu2_bbs.cgi?action=showlast&cat=&txtnumber=log&next_page=5&t_type=

Dany

Hi all. I`m not currently offering any trades. Dany, I think that is awesome! I also crossed Ten Ten with some things and got various results including a lavender kikyo Ten Ten in the F2 selections. I got a lot of variations from this kind of cross and more growing,studying and endulging in how pretty the flowers can be will carry on next year. :)

Wow,looking over there on the kyushu message board I cannot understand every word even after translation. I don`t think the translation is saying the words in a kind of sentence we can understand and there is no explaining how they are using the words and what each word refers to in speaking. They use different words to refer to things in what seems to me to be a creative way but it isn`t possible to understand without being taught Japanese.

I still go visit over there on the Kyushu site and read the board whether I understand the words or not. Each picture says 1000 words.

My kids have this little game that teaches Japanese. I know a few words now! My son can count to ten in Japanese..he is a bit more advanced than me lol!

Karen

OK wait, I do understand this part.

Quote kyushu message board:

F2 results seeded (50 tablets)
Germination rate 49/50
32 wild-type colored axis
14 wild-type white-axis
Kikyo 2 colored vortex axis
White bellflower vortex axis 1

(This is me again)

This is describing the germination rate and all the results listed from growing out the F2s. I believe this is a evaluation of the cotyledons.

I`m willing to have a little fun guessing what the words mean. I`m unsure but maybe vortex is the hypocotyl? Maybe axis is the point between the cotyledon leaves where they meet? That point where the cotyledon leaves meet the hypocotyl is light if the flowers have white throats and colored if there will be a colored throat. Maybe wild type refers to the skinny leaves on the cotyledon for the smaller flower vine rather than the fatter leaves on the large flower cotyledon? Kikyo mean star shaped flower. Maybe bellflower is for the round corollas?

This is me again:

I do recall in the growing out of F2s from a speckled type(fujishibori or ten ten) x solid color flower I got only about 10% speckled flowers. I got both the wild type skinnier cotyledons indicating smaller flowers and the fatter leafed cotyledons indicating large flowers.

In 50 cotyledons I would find maybe 3 to 5 speckled hypocotyls and culled the rest out to save room since I was (at that time) only interested in growing the speckled ones to save room. At times I did grow all of the F2s if I wanted to.

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, I had not seen this post. It looks like you got yourself a lavender speckled...I LOVE IT... That first bluish purple one is not too shabby either. It almost looks like a small purpurea, although my brain knows that some of them are coming out relatively small flowers.. just gorgeous, great job there.
A.

Thanks Gourd. These were a lot of fun to grow out. Karen

I also got gray,very pale blue,white and yellow http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemorningglory_cannalily_sunflower/3821148837/in/set-72157621549428820/

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, I just saw this pop up in my thread watcher.. what beauties, I sure miss growing these. I have to take a look at your link there.

A.

Hi Antoinette, It just amazed me how many different looks came from all those seeds I plucked off a couple vines that didn`t look very unusual at first glance. The F1 looked like a Fujishibori a bit on the smaller size but how was I to know all this variation would happen! It was a adventure to remember.

Karen

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Love your work, Karen! Very nice. - Arlan

Thanks Arlan. :) Karen

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

This is amazing. Im new to this hobby, except Im into Hibiscus. I want to mix and match to try to make my own new babies. I look up to you for this. Cant wait to learn the art!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I love the one posted on July 18, 2009 at 04:48 AM. It looks like shard of broken glass!

Norfolk, VA

Would a 3-way cross yield identical F1 offspring? Just curious.

Tony

Mesilla Park, NM

Wow, the more I see these crosses that are developing, I can't wait till SPRING again..

I'm planning on growing some of Gardener's seeds this coming spring.. you all wait for photos, because she has created some beautiful shaped and speckled flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.