Advice re: Moving a Bottle brush and training

Huntersville, NC

somehow Hon planted the bottle brush way too close to the house.

it presently is i shrub form.

See this pic ??
- i would like mine to look like that.
is it possible to dig this shrub up, prune into desired shape and re-plant where it can expand forth
and just maybe it will get blooms again.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2009 5:26 PM

Thumbnail by 50glee
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I am by no means an expert, but i know in nurseries and garden centers here, bottle brush are sold in two types: shrub and tree forms. Im not sure you can train a shrub bottle brush to be a tree, but i could be very wrong ;)

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
If your "Bottlebrush" is one of the Australian native Callistemons you will find that it is almost impossible to move, easier to get a new one. However if you want to try, and the plant is not very big try digging alround the plant and lifting a good ball of soil with the roots and put in the new site water well and keep damp for at least several weeks.
Brian

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I had two bottlebrush that I was training as standards ( just one trunk), unfortunately I lost one to hurricane Ike. Growing very slowly, so the "wow" factor is still 3-4 years away.

I have almost lost a third and largest bottlebrush to intense heat. I am not trimming any dead yet, will do in the fall, in case it has just gone dormant and not really dead. that particular tree looks like the first pic in this thread and all I do on that one is trim all the growth in the bottom 3 ft, there is no training per se, just cleanup.

I have never transplanted one but I do know of someone who did just that in late fall, successfully. Personally, I wouldn't dare to do it now. But later in the year, yes, following recommendations that Stake stated above.

Huntersville, NC

yes id only attempt it in the fall

and using this fantastic product ive just gotten into:
SuperThirve.

id probably let sit in the SuperThrive . . .
for an overnight to a day or so. then re-plant

that product appears to do just that - help plants super thrive!

Huntersville, NC

I can also crawl around the base of it now
to see if it has the main branches are formed similarly to those in the pic.

just a thought.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.