CannaVirus Reach for the Bleach??

Huntersville, NC

ok this may sound a tad strange but hear me out ~ please.

have had a tad too much contact with hospitals lately
- and noticed hospitals use numerous germicides to protect against bacteria and viruses.

the primary household germicidal agent is bleach.

when introducing hostas (which can be plagued with a several viruses)
we are urged to use a 1:10 ratio of bleach to water for all tools
and i do a hosta dip in a 1:10 bleach solution to the actual plant
- rinsing well of course.
this process does not cure but serves as a preventative measure.

anyone considered:
- removing foliage (leaves and flowers)
- then dip tuber in a similar bleach solution
- rinsing throughly
(i keep/use disposal medical exam gloves)
- with a through rinse and re-planting??
personally i think i would pot the plant to maintain greater control of the outcome.
to avoid cross contamination i use medical exam gloves
(i DID say we've been in and out ot too many hospitals lately)

personally i think this "process" IS worth the try
- just make sure you do not cross-contaminate and sterilize ALL.
but the sterilization would have to be done anyway.

my logic is if the plant can out-grow a virus, as one mentioned
- maybe this bleach dip may help the plant recover/heal??

any responses on this idea??

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

When I dig my canna, glads, and dahlias I wash off the dirt and than dip them in a light bleach solution. I think it keeps them healthier when storing.

Huntersville, NC

yes
and im asking has anyone considered doing this wash
- to see if it can positively impact on virus infected cannas.

as it stands infected cannas are to either be burned or otherwise thrown out.

rather than totally discarding the
- the bleach wash may save their lives.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Oh, I with I had an answer for you. What is the virus and what does it look like?

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Bleach will help kill bacteria, but it will not help with virus.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Alice,

I know the bleach won`t kill the virus right off but doesn`t washing the tools help? I think maybe dipping in soapy bleach water and rinsing with the hose pipe when going from one to the other might help?

Karen

Huntersville, NC

it cant hurt.

all else fails I am seeking something that offers gardeners an option other than burning or throwing out all suspected infected plants.

im not sure the bleach wont kill the virus. bleach kills viruses that threaten humans . . .

just seeking an alternative.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Karen :) How are you doing?
Keeping tools clean is ALWAYS good practice.
But as virus becomes part of every cell of a plant, bleach will help with clean, but it will not cure an infected plant. They cannot even tc virus completely out as traces will still be there even if not seen. Virus is tough ):

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

It is sad but true. We can practice good culture by keeping areas weeded,insects under control and using clean tools but destroying infected plants is the only way to really kill viruses. The truth really hurts sometimes.

Karen

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Canna virus spreads from other cannas that carry it.
I know someone who is an organic grower and has a few aphids on his garden plants during the year he takes care of soon as he notices.
But all his cannas are very clean as he is way out alone with no other cannas in proximity, and his plants have been clean for the last 20 years.
Something to pay attention :)

Huntersville, NC

Thanking all for this discussion and clarity.

Abutilon - does this mean aphids can increase the probability of the virus spreading ?

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

50glee ..
To my knowledge, the jury is still out on that.
I know someone who has only grown canna 'President' all the years (many) he has grown cannas. He always has aphids in his greenhouse, but NO VIRUS in his 'President'.
It is still perfect :)
To me that says, if it does spread by aphids, it would have to be carried from a virused canna it would feed on. In that, it also tells me .. of no virused cannas to feed on, then no virus should spread by aphids.
No matter the method, to me it seems more spread by proximity. If you keep virused cannas out of your growing, then there is no virus to worry about spreading.
BTY .. if you have never grown a clean canna 'President', you are in for a real treat :))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.