any ideas for after columbine fades

Wallingford, PA

I love my columbines but they are done so early. anyone have ideas for something I can plant that could fill in after they are faded?

North Chelmsford, MA(Zone 6b)

Believe it or not, I still have one columbine in bloom. It's a Canadensis, and I have been deadheading it since it started. I'm getting older (75, rotator cuff problems) so I'm not on top of my deadheading the way I used to be, but I've found that the blooming period lasts much longer if I don't let the plants go to seed.
I'm just looking down at the garden and it occurred to me: how about putting in geraniums not too near the aquilegias? Some of mine are rather ambitious and spread out during the summer, covering some of my sins. I'm really getting into them and have bought more.
I also have a creeping tide of tiarella that doesn't seem to damage the rest of my stuff.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I cut my columbine back after they finish blooming and start setting seeds. They get so tall and tired looking. In a couple weeks you will have a fresh, green plant again and may get some scattered blooms if the weather permits.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.