DAILY PICS #232

Stafford County, VA

Time to start a new thread. Anyone wishing to go back to Vol 321 can follow this link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1013399/

Let me start out with a female cardinal

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

And how about a brown thrasher. I don't see them too often and it was a first for this bluebird fledgling too.

Stafford County, VA

And of course, I have to include a bluebird. This is StepDad.

Stafford County, VA

And here are four male cowbirds, each trying for the attention of a single female

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

amazing

Stafford County, VA

Speaking of cowbirds. I had to feel sorry for this song sparrow that was cursed with two cowbird fledglings chasing it. One is bad enough but TWO?!!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

great pics!!
Oh my gosh! Is that poor little sparrow having to feed those 2 huge thugs?

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009 10:02 PM

Stafford County, VA

Closeup of one of the cowbird fledges

Stafford County, VA

Thanks Birdie. Here is a gray catbird.

Stafford County, VA

And a couple of bluebird fledglings taking a bath.

Stafford County, VA

And finally, a northern mockingbird. A real backyard bully.

Stafford County, VA

Well, while I have the floor, let me add one more of my favorites.

Klamath River, CA

A juvenile Spotted Towhee stopped by late this evening.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

PaPa Tree Swallow bringing home a late evening snack.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I drove down to Seward, AK and visited Ava Eads to photograph the Rufous Hummingbirds which come to her feeders.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The Rufous Hummingbirds was a new bird for my life list. Their range is confined to the coastal areas, and they do not come as far as Anchorage where I live.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I couldn't get any of the hummingbirds to sit and pose for me, like one did for Ava, in the photos she posted yesterday. However, I did get a few good pictures.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Hovering in front of the feeder. (I cropped the feeder out of the picture, a feeder in a picture spoils shot! )

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Collecting nectar from a columbine flower.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

It would be nice to be able to afford an expensive camera, so I could shoot at a higher ISO, to stop the wings. My cheep camera gets too grainy above 100 ISO.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A final close up shot.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful pics Dave! Thanks for starting the new thread!

Very nice ones adel and Gary!

Melbourne, FL

Everyones' shots are wonderful. I feel sorry for that Song Sparrow, but also feel sorry for the Cowbird babies, what a nasty thing the parents do, leaving them to be raised by strangers. You have to wonder what the substitute parents are thinking when their "offspring" are towering over them!

This message was edited Jul 16, 2009 5:20 AM

Stafford County, VA

Probably thinking about a basketball scholarship.

Norman, OK

A Scissor-tail having a bad tail day in the Oklahoma wind. He has no interest in the BB box other than just a place to sit and watch for bugs.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
but also feel sorry for the Cowbird babies

Your feeling sorry for the wrong set of babies!!!!!

The Song Sparrow's babies were most likely pushed out of the nest, by the much larger Cow Bird babies, and died. The Cow Bird eggs have a short incubation period, and usually hatch first. Usually ONLY the Cow Bird babies survive from a parasitized nest!

South Hamilton, MA

I really could do without cowbirds.

Melbourne, FL

Of course I know that....but it wasn't the babies that did that. They have no control over it.

Norman, OK

Anthropomorphism is a narrow view of nature. If one wants to get pi$$ed about the killing of birds, take a look in the mirror. Cowbirds and other avian species coexisted for some 10-million years. Now they get blamed for the demise of endangered species. It's a bad rap. Species are almost always endangered by man's actions, not predators nor parasitic species.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Interesting view Red! Here I've a juvenile cardinal. Innocent to the world out there. She's learned to come to the feeder. She's currious about that squirrel that gets to the feeder before she does. Sometimes, she wonders if the humanoid is going to capture her with that apparatus in her hands. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Marlton, NJ

Cute one Lily!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Dave, your starting photos for the new thread were wonderful!! That Thrasher baby with the little Bluebird is so cute and I loved that one with all the Cowbirds and one female. They look like they were howling for her. The one with the two babies going after the Sparrow was priceless. Great job!!

Adel, great job on the S. Towhee and papa T. Swallow has a beautiful wing spread.

Gary, great hummer shots! Those tiny birds started my addiction several years ago and I can't stop photographing them.

One of the younger Orioles was really enjoying the fountain.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This little Oriole had something stuck on its bill and it took a couple minutes and lots of laughs before it succeeded.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

This Oriole just figured out how to successfully land on the wire and balance itself. Never a dull moment when the young birds are around.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Marlton, NJ

Great shots duc!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

The Bluebird fledge on the fence post had to be squaking, "me, me...no me Dad..here"

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Lily, I missed your little Cardinal the first time-she's adorable! I had to laugh when you mentioned the humanoid with the thingie in her hands-I know that look you get. LOL

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Fabulous pics!!

I have not had one cowbird fledgling this year...yet anyways and we are about done here with babies. We are in the second batch of Blue Jays and we usually have a late group of cardinal juvies yet to come.

Juvie Red-bellied Woodpecker again....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Baltimore Oriole juvie in the tree....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Juvie Cardinal....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.