Chinese or Virginia Fringe Tree?

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7a)

Since relocating to NM, I'm so tempted to try growing a fringe tree like I had in PA. I always thought I had a Chinese, but after looking on this site, I think I had a Virginia. Back east I had improved the soil with peat, but the subsoil had alot of clay. Now I have a sandy clay loam to work with. I read that the Chinese is more tolerant of alkaline soil. Mine is around pH 7. Of course I'm expecting to remember to water it regularly as it is much drier here. Does anyone have any thoughts on which to try? If you've ever smelled these flowers, you'd understand why I'd like to grow another.

Thanks, Jerry

Thumbnail by NM_gardener_guy
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Your picture sure looks like the North American native White Fringe Tree (Chionanthus virginicus), which blooms from the leaf axils along the branches rather than from the terminals like the Chinese Fringe Tree (Chionanthus retusus).

I don't think you will go wrong with either plant. I like the way the flowers are held on the native fringe tree, and their excellent fragrance. I like the foliage and bark character (with age) on the Chinese fringe.

Both species should grow just fine (with some moisture) on your soils. The native species is native near here in central KY on circumneutral limestone soils.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.