Round up not Green...Scientific American Article

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Obviously organic/natural gardeners do not use Round Up but I wanted to spread the word about this article:

http://www.gardenoforganicdelights.org/apps/forums/topics/show/1025822-round-up-not-green

So you have something to share with people about the latest research. Round up is banned in some countries and heading for more.

http://www.panna.org/resources/panups/panup_20090625

Please spread the word and protect our children's health.

gardenoforganicdelights@gmail.com

Thumbnail by sunnynparadise
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

The first link didn't work but the second was very interesting. Thanks for posting it. I sent it to some people involved in regional environmental protection in my area.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

greehouse gal if you go to my website it is posted on the forums and I found it on rainyside...Oh drat, I guess you have to be a member. I forgot about that. Let me repost the article alone.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=weed-whacking-herbicide-p

Sunny.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

If you really want to scare yourself...read this from one of the researchers - French.

http://www.digital-athanor.com/PRISM_ESCAPE/article_usb312.html?id_article=18

Thanks, Sunny!

The French weekly Marianne had a long feature article about GMO foods and Monsanto some time last year, and it was enough to make your hair curl. And then France seriously considered allowing them because the "science" indicated that there was no reason to continue the ban. Thankfully they changed their minds.

North, TX

sunny, thank you for the above links which are very informative. Even if it is scary, it is the facts!!

This kind of information sure has been hidden and suppressed from us, the general public. Most people still have no idea what is going on with these chemicals and the foods they are consuming, or Mansantos' schemes.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

I posted this link on the Garden Web too. I was given a real hard time and a guy with the ID of Jayk is extolling the virtures of Roundup all over the place. I wanted to hear from others what they thought of this and what links and info. they had. I learned at Rainyside that early on, different European countries banned and halted the use of Roundup, now I guess it is back on, but supposedly the patent is expiring and anyone can make the formula. I think posting this everywhere is important. I went organic in the 90s after a poisoning and an accident with Preen.
Please share what you know. This article is the tip of the iceberg (which is probably melting now.) Please send me your links. Also, you can go onto the good website and become a member and moderator. I am trying to affect changes locally and need all the help I can get. ideas etc...

Sunny, I've been arguing against Roundup for many years, and a number of people in my area are very knowledgeable about pesticides/herbicides and are doing battle on that subject. The woman I sent your links to was already familiar with them, but I don't think the scientists at the regional protection commission I'm involved in were aware of them.

Previous articles about Roundup have noted that while this doesn't occur in the lab, in the field anurans are showing mutations and other anomalies when Roundup is used within the watershed.

Huntersville, NC

btw - sunnynparadise
- are you 'walking' a goat on a leash . . .in the pic??
- hmmm not only has the name but lives the life!

sorry i do not mean to distract from the serious topic at hand
- but i just clicked to enlarge the pic and LOOKED.
too cute!

North, TX

I didn't look at the picture close up either - till now LOL! sure is a pretty goat too.

My addition to the topic:
I have many concerns about our honey bees because they are so crucial I think in the order of nature working in harmony. They are neccessary for so many reasons, including polinating our OP fruits, veggies, herbs and such.

Here is an article about the colapse of the honey bees which ties into the pesticide issue.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_4557.cfm

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Howdy, well, I thought the article was important to post because an credible and respected Journal picked it up. It is hard to get the information out to people. I have several friends who have died from breast and brain cancer and because of my own past chemical exposures I am very concerned about it for our children. I also like hearing what everyone else is aware of. Since the discussion on the Garden Web got so hostile it caused me to contact people on several of the links. I have written to NCAP, the pesticide watchdog in Oregon. The more I read the worse it gets. I had no idea that there was such a high level of use of this chemical in our food supply and what Monsanto appears to be doing is pretty terrifying. Please share your information.

Regarding the picture. That is a friend's son (long hair) who is chasing a pygmy goat on Orcas Island, in the San Juan Island Chain in Washington. It is so lovely there. I have lots of goat pics because I like them so much!

I will check out the links and thanks for posting info. allwild! This past weekend I went on the Seattle Tilth chicken tour and saw honey bees living in an urban garden. It was really cool!

Sunny, we used to live on Lummi Island, so we know Orcas well. We moved back east a very long time ago but still have very fond memories of that area. I envy your access to it, although the place where we live now is also really nice.

North, TX

You know sunny, people baffle me on a regular basis.

When I found out about GMO's (which was here in DG) I was floored to say the least but very greatful to those, like yourself, who are willing to share this information. I guess it can be a questionable topic on DG if it becomes political. But the Sustainable Alternative Forum is where you will be welcome and find many people just as passionate on these issues.