Squirrel Pics Vol. 11

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Last thread was getting a bit long and I have few new bad pics to share!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/983622/

This our orange loving squirrel..unfortunately the price of oranges has shot up so much they are now off the menu!

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009 8:15 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I mean it really really likes them...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

REALLY!!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

It scrapes every bit out of there!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Cute little bunny....boy we have LOTS of bunnies this year!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

Has anyone had any experience with black squirrels? We have quite a few in my town and just within the last year or so I have noticed a couple in my woods. An elderly man told me that the black ones are more vicious than the red or grey squirrels and that they will fight with the other ones and actually castrate the red or grey males and take over the territory. I find this hard to believe but I do notice that they seem to be gradually infiltrating this area. They are smaller than the greys. I also notice some that appear to be a crossbreed of the red and the black. They are rusty black with reddish tails. Any comments?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

OPh goody I made the jump. Havign major puter problems.

I'll say we likethat orange. Orange s are up here too , but stil can find som eplace s thta have the tangerines 10 for abucks. Maybe next time I go to corner store will get me some and throw them out there. Nuts are scare this tiem of year and the tree s are loade d with hickory nuts but they are notready and wont be for awhile yet so my gang is lookign kinda skinny and peaked.

slvrwilo, I have no personal experience with black squirrels but I have heard that they are more aggressive. Don't know to what extent tho.

I may check out the tangerine prices...didn't do that..DUH!!! Thanks starlight.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

slvrwilo, we have a lot of black squirrels. They are a color variation of the gray squirrel, and no more aggressive than the grey-colored ones. Around here, the little red squirrels are the agressive ones, and they have no trouble defending their food from the larger grey (and black grey) squirrels.

On it's way to raid the oriole jelly dish!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I just love it when their tails are this color!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh look at that. That somethign I've never seen before. two toned liek that is so startlign to see. Going back up for third look. Is that normal Nanny?

Yes...it is a phase that the fox squirrels go thru before it darkens up. Most people don't ever see it happen. This one's tail is starting to darken.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

It very interesting indeed and thanks for the pics showing it and teaching about it. : )

Well not sure about the teaching part...LOL! But thanks!

Bunny trying reeeal hard to be invisible as dog and me walk by!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

"If I'm still enough, they won't see me!"

The squirrels here seem to like various fruit. Not big on veggies though. They mostly get bananas because DH likes his under-ripe and I don't like them at all. So when they get "too" ripe, to the squirrels they go!

I'd also just like to say that I think the squirrels should make a shrine to the goldfinches, who are such messy eaters! W/o them I don't think the squirrels would have so much to eat! :)

Fox too, as the fox has cut the squirrel numbers down. Ah, the cycle/chain of life.

DH saw a red fox here a couple weeks back. He was so excited!!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I just walke d to mail box and onethe way bak starle d a squirrel and when I looke d at him was shocked. I knwo the nuts scare now but her e he had a big old mushroom top and stalk almost as big as his body and he was hoping I wouldnt see him cuz he couldnt run with it and with all the other squirrels aroudn was no way he was gonna drop it.

First tiem I seen them eatign mushrooms though I have lots here from the wood sand the flood waters.

Well...who knew!! I bet they eats lots of things in the woods we don't know about!

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Interesting!

I've determined that one of the most entertaining things is watching a squirrel (or the chipmunk from the morning) bury food. I just love it when they finish and "pat pat pat pat" the ground to make it look like nothing had happened there. LOL

Me too evie...LOL!!

Watching me watching him!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

For real.. I watch mien dig adn it amazign how fast they dig, but the patytuy pat pat is o funyn the way their little feet fly. Make s me want to get them to help plant seedling s they do it so ell and it liek the soil not diturbed either , that is til they go and dig em up.

great shot Nanny!

You wouldn't belive what one of my babie s did yesterday. Neighbro wa here borrowing somethign adn as she was leavign e stood on porch and littel one was ther e by tree by porch and it stood up and hands otu and then wsa liekrubbign its tummy and holding hands out sittign up . It was so cute ythat I came back in hous e and got some pecan nuts and threw out aroudn tree for it. It ws like man wish i had soem peanuts at the time.

Melbourne, FL

This squirrel was picking the fruit off my Strawberry Guava and wolfing them down.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

Sneaky little bugger!

Marlton, NJ

Throwing in a wabbit. :-)

Thumbnail by pelletory
Melbourne, FL

It's doing a squirrel pose....so cute!

Ahhh...that is adorable pelle!! LOL

Posting a few right now that I got of a couple of squirrels playing out on the neighbors playset the other day....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Got 'cha!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Up to the roof...hmmmm!

This message was edited Jul 26, 2009 9:12 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56

While photographing the squirrels I saw this doe cross the road and she had twin fawns. We have lived here 3 years and have had and twins every summer! GD saw triplets yesterday!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Ah those playing squirrels are hilarious.
Love the bunny squirrel act Pelle. I see you have to cage stuff up there too huh!!!
Those strawberry guava looks mighty yummy. GP

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

what about this one?

Thumbnail by melvatoo

I not doing anything...really!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Just doing its stretching excercises!! LOL

Thumbnail by nanny_56