Snakes, frogs and lizards! #2

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

Maybe I should start a new thread as the other one is getting quite a bit on it. I don't have anything new to put on here though at the moment. But here is a box turtle we rescued on a creek bank. The bank was steep and muddy and the turtle couldn't get back up. He was in danger of falling into the creek and drowning.

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I really enjoy the pics of all the pretty turtles, and the adorable babies! I rescued a young snapper from the middle of the road yesterday, but he wasn't photogenic at the time...poor thing was covered with stinky black (sewage?) sludge, and I had to hurry home and clean and aerate the car, lol.
The day before, I had to rescue a young rat snake from an angry mama kitty who was also in danger of being bitten by the snake. I moved him to a more remote part of our woods.

Doesn't it feel good to rescue these helpless critters?

Yes it does! :-)

Here is another we found the other day. We think it's probably a Midland Brown snake. There hasn't been as many snakes it seems this year. Haven't seen too many box turtles or frogs either, but we sure have heard the frogs at night!

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Another a little closer

Thumbnail by creekwalker

And one more, to show just how little he is. Dh put him back where he found him after he took the pictures. :-)

Thumbnail by creekwalker

He's so cute--and pretty, too! I've only seen three box turtles so far--all in our pond eating the water hyacinths, grrr...I moved them out into the woods, but they'll be back. Doesn't matter, no more hyacinths, lol.
I did see a tiny baby toad today--don't get to see them much, as they're so well camouflaged in the woods. He was hopping away from where I was walking, so I noticed the movement.
I love the loud chorus of tree frogs every night! I sat outside a while tonight just to listen. It's such a peaceful sound.

The tree frogs are really loud this year too! :o

Here's a guy I found in the road today. I could see someone taking advantage of his position and squashing him in the road, so I hurried him into the grass and safely off the road. He wasn't too happy with me.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Here's a closeup of his colors. So pretty!

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Here's one of his head

Thumbnail by creekwalker

He is pretty! So glad you rescued him.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

That is one snake I will kill. Can't abide copperheads. Too sneaky. I go out of my way to help all the others but I do not like a copperhead around the place.

I know, I remember you saying that CajuninKy. So I have to protect them from people like you. lol! :-)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They are a beutiful snake none the less but too dangerous to have around the place. I prefer they stay in the mountains and hills. Not in my barn hall! LOL

You know, we can't let them stay around us either. Dh usually relocates them though. This one was in the road, a few miles from our place. :-)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, yup, thats a copperhead... so whats this guy??? I dont want either of them around.

My guess is a timber rattler... we are having a vote on another forum... come on down!

I will post the link in a second! Dint know this link was here!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Wow, that's a fat li'l snake!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Aint he though! Fat, and about 15 inches maybe a lil less. Nasty looker to me.

I sure don't know what that is. lol I will have dh look at it tonight and see what he thinks though.

Edited to add: it's definitely NOT a copperhead though

This message was edited Sep 9, 2009 5:20 PM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, we got a vote tally on the other thread! Hop over to that one too! The conversation has been interesting!

Haven't been to that thread, but he could be a corn snake.

Dh looked at it and says he is pretty certain it's an Eastern Hognose snake.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, Well heres the vote tally...
Copperhead 3 (I think we can eliminate copperhead...)
Timber rattler 4
watersnake - 1
Northern Water snake - 1
Masogua - 0
Prairie King Snake - 1
Corn snake - 1
Other - 0

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Looks like a corn snake to me. Certainly non venomous I would think.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Timber rattler 4
watersnake - 1
Northern Water snake - 1
Masogua - 0
Prairie King Snake - 1
Corn snake - 2
Other - 0

On the other thread, the hognose was added...

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

deffinately NOT a Corn snake. Doesn't look anything like one actually.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Timber rattler 4
watersnake - 1
Northern Water snake - 1
Masogua - 0
Prairie King Snake - 1
Corn snake - 2- 1 = 1
Hognose - 1

Other - 0

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Are there more than one kind of corn snake? Thought I remembered one with similar coloring and a darker head. I know there is a corn snake that is red and gray. The snake in question does appear to have a bit of a shovel nose but hard to tell from this pic.

Two for the Hognose, Blossombuddy. :-) Me and BirdieBlue.

I am trusting my dh in this. :-) He knows his snakes and is usually right. Not always, but most of the time.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 4:59 PM

And, zooming in on your picture, you can see the stubby nose.

What part of the country are you in?

This is fun, no matter what he turns out to be! Good learning experience for us all.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry creekwalker.. the tally is out of date.. be back with the correction in a minute.. the correct tally is on my other thread!

Gads, I just got done mowing. Did not see any snakes when I was mowing, but rakign up, I saw 5. 2 were black garter snakes, 3 were worm snakes. They were all the same size justabout. But the worm snake.. its an adult I beleive and you would think its a baby if I am not mistaken on them. Like I said, I dont know too much about snakes. All aI know is I got plent of them and too many for my BP! LOL! Gads they just jump me out of my hide.

Well, I gotta go do some laundry. derned critters. Brown lil snakes make for brown drawers!! LOL! ANd is those lil slitherers that get into the pots.

Tomorrow I am repotting all larger pots that I am bringing indoors. UGH!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Update on my noid snake....someond mentiond hognoses like to play possum... hmmm maybe I did not kill him after all? Dunno!

Timber rattler 3(I think we can eliminate timber rattler...)
watersnake - 1
Northern Water snake - 1
Masogua - 0
Prairie King Snake - 1
Eastern Hognose - 4

Cornsnake - from other thread...had 2 votes, lost one...= 1(I think we can eliminate cornsnake too!..)

Other - 0

I think I stand corrected! LOL!

They do like to play possum. lol If yours wasn't severed or bleeding and was laying upside down with his mouth hanging open, then it's a good chance he was just playing dead. lol Relax! :-) They are a good snake.

Oh, and in my first thread, I have several different kinds of snakes pictured if you want to see them for reference. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/910775/

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks!
Um, I been down to your neck of the woods... I am less fond of your snakes than mine! You got some nasty ones!

Derned water mocasins ...seen them swimming where I was horsebackpacking....last thing I need is a bite on either me or my horse!

Haven't seen copperheads here, but I heard they may be here...think our county extension office would be able to tell me?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Try your DOC... (Department of Conservation or Department of Ag)

Conservation guys gave me a chart for the locality, but I will be danged if I can find it....

KY, IL, they are timber country... got a lot of diverse areas that cna harbor different snakes both good and nasty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.