Project for Veterans

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I am hoping that a few people will be willing to help me out on this project. I received an email from a co-worker at work who works with various organizations to help active Military and Veterans. These are actually needed at the VA hospital here in Houston and if you can send them to me, I will make arrangements to get them to my co-worker who will deliver them to the hospital.

Here is the request....

Photo samples of items the VA hospital on Holcombe needs are attached.

The wheelchair pockets are in most demand (second picture above). They are simply bags about 16-17” x 16-17”, with 6” handles and a pocket sewn on the front. The pocket is stitched up the middle so it won’t flop open. These are used when patients are being transported from station to station for tests and x-rays. The patients sometimes cannot hold the large envelope of x-rays and supplies, and it’s a struggle for staff to push the wheelchair and carry everything.

The walker pocket has Velcro on the back so it can be secured over the front bar. I’ve made quite a few from old placemats by stitching on the Velcro, then putting the pockets on both sides. (Obviously you don’t have to use a placemat – just any firm fabric will do.) Sometimes I’ve made all the pockets equally sized, and sometimes have given one a bit more room as on the example.shown. The walkers furnished by the VA are just that – no fancy seat or places to put things, so the pockets are really welcomed.

The third item requested is a lap robe. These are used to keep patients’ legs warm while they are sitting. They are simply 36” x 36” squares of washable fabric – sort of like a throw, only a bit smaller. Edges should be finished so they don’t fray in the wash.

The VA requests no pink fabric and no flowers – the more masculine the prints, the better. The patients are given their pockets to take home.

If you have any questions about the items or can help me out, please let me know.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by shuggins
This thread has 33 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!