It's July! What's Happening in Your Neighborhood part 3

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Everyone is welcome to join in the chat! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1011931/

Rusty – I wish you the best of luck! Pretty daylilies!
Kelli – I like that water looking stone!
Adina – Your flowers look great! I really like the tile used for your roof and awning.
Rann – Beautiful pictures! Looks like you had a great time! I love the “waterfall”. LOL – 68* too hot for a hike! Just goes to show you how different temps are around the world.
Joey – Too cute - you should name that “Jack’s Path”!
Adina – Beautiful Gloxinia!
Sally – Pretty garden!
Celia – No rain since Saturday morning. We received almost 5” of rain last week so I did not water yesterday. Cool sky pic!
Kelli – Beautiful orchid cactus!
Marylyn – So glad you are feeling better! Get some more rest!
Rann – Adorable pic of the girls!
Celia- LOL at Monty – he’s so cute!

74.3 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 69 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 74 °F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog early in the morning. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Sunshine! the sun is shining and only one day this week looks to have rain. We were at a grad party on Saturday night and Stan ended up holding the center pole of the tent while everyone else ran for the house - wind and heavy rain were bringing it down. He got out safely and we all stood around dripping for the rest of the party!

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Another sunny day, light breeze and 57°F at 9 am ..... forecasted high in the low 60's :-)

I know this seems really strange to the rest of you, but in temps above 70°F we can barely move .... we're used to a very cool nip in the air all the time, without it we just melt away! lol

Ric- thanks for those links! Very interesting places to visit! I've actually been to Ruby Falls, but I'd forgotten - thanks for the reminder. I travelled with my family to Cherokee, NC while we lived in Florida and on the way back, we drove through Tennessee, saw Rock City I think it's called and Ruby falls .....it was a really great trip :-)

More travel photos :-)

On day three we drove up to the longest glacier in Iceland, aptly named Langjökull (Long glacier) ..... it was a very warm day, but we cooled down real quick when we got out of the car by the glacier! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rann I'll have to see of we have any 'See Rock City' bumper stickers still hanging around.
They used to plaster them on all the cars in the parking lot till the 60's.
Now they put them under your wipers....
We were last down there in 82 for the World's Fair.
We stayed right on the lake about 30 minutes from Lost Sea.

You would love it here this morning.
61 degrees w/ a light breeze.
Course I was freezing when I went out...lol!
It will hit 85 later..

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Time to put on a jacket! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

What a Wimp! LOL!

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm behind again!
Just want to say to Kelli: the amaryllis seeds are sprouting (I floated them in water) but is that the root or the stem--I don't know which way to plant them! LOL Am I ignorant or what? The stem or the root, whatever it is, is white which is the reason I am unsure about it.

Oh, and Bernie--sorry about the glads--maybe somebody else will want them for a later wedding?

Still hot, still no rain- Oh, look, I see a rain cloud--there is always hope! Come on over here, rain! Hooray--it's actually raining--oh, happy day--I hope this keeps up all day!

Currently, raining and 80ºF on my back porch.

I'm off to the dentist this afternoon for the other half of my root canal. Ugh!
Hope you all have a good day!

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009 8:24 AM

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Ric :-) Yeah 61°F sounds perfect .... 85°F not so perfect ;-) lol It's too hot to work in the garden .... I think I'll just sit in the sun for a while and fry ..... lol

The girls were lacking proper footwear since I left the rain boots back at the cabin ..... didn't expect to get THAT close to the glacier! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Mau - good news about the rain! Hope the rootcanal goes well :-s

White River (Hvítá) originates in the glacier Langjökull.

Thumbnail by rannveig
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I was sleeping good last night then here come bad T-storm at 2 am Rusty jump on my side bed to woke me up!

(Zone 7a)

Rusty, I hate waking like that. Takes awhile to go back to sleep! LOL

Speaking of loud noises...Darrell and I were looking out the BR window yesterday watching it start to rain when a HUGE bang and flash happened. Dang, that was loud! Lightning hit a neighbors tree about 5 doors from us. Both cats levitated and then teleported...somewhere. We didn't see them for awhile.

Sharon, thanks for the new thread. Hoping for cooler temps and rain for you.

Rann, I understand about the girls being too hot. You get used to whatever is normal for the area. Love the girls. So great to see them.

JW is getting giganimous!!! I remember when he was just leaning to walk. Now, he's all over the place.

Ric, such a tease! LOL

79.8 °F with 85º for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 45 °F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 16.0 mph
Pressure: 29.96 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 79 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

This is the clearest shot I could get of this little silver guy. He was the size of a quarter and held still about as well as JW!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Both cats levitated and then teleported...somewhere.

ROFLOLOL, Celia!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I feel kind of left out, not having thunderstorms here.

It looks like it's going to be brutally hot today. It is 91F at 11AM. No hiking this week.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on July 13, 2009
88 °F
Clear
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.93 in (Steady)
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Me, too, Marylyn--about what Celia said--LOLOL!!!

Our rain didn't last all day but at least it did last for about an hour! The grass, flowers and trees all said "Thank you!"" I could almost hear them "slurping" up the rain!

Root canal is finished--now then the crown is next but that will have to wait until next month. I've had enough of the dentist for a while!

The rain was great but things are back to normal again--hot and muggy!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Worked on daughters house today.
This is what we started with.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That was 9 AM & this was at 4:30 PM.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The left side of the addition is a double garage. The other is going to be a bathroom & entryway.
There will be a second floor which will be a new master suite. Also a master bath & a small room that connects to a small bedroom in the existing house.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Man that's some nice and quick work Bernie!
That's a LOT of space!
Bigger than our house!

How's the trailer coming?

Going to the 50's tonight.... we STILL haven't unpacked the AC Units been 18 months now.

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We used the trailer to haul scaffolding & lumber down there. They had stored things here because they were short of room.
Finished the trailer after we got home. In the morning we will transfer all our equipment from the old trailer.
I'll get a picture tomorrow.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and humid here. But temps were in the 80s. Tomorrow it will be hot and humid with temps trying to reach 100.

(Zone 7a)

It was hot and breezy here today.

Going plant shopping with my niece tomorrow. Woo hoo! She needs things in the shady parts badly. That then lunch then TV.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hot and dry here.
The plants are sucking up the water fast.
66° now going for 56° they are saying.
Only about 83° w/ again a Humidity in the mid 30% range.
This is the oddest July we've ever had in my memory.
More high desert than Midwest.
Forecast calls for a chance of rain Weds then highs in the 70's thru the weekend but Sunny.
My electric bill is loving it!

Cool Sunflower shot Celia. I Love it!
Ric

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

I have a few pictures to show you, then I'll be off to work. I'm working second shift this week.
Zinnias and the sunflowers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Salvia flower bed.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Do you know what this is?

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kathleen – LOL! Nothing like an unexpected downpour at a function!
Rann- Temps above 70* does that to me too LOL!
Mau – I’m so glad you got that root canal almost over. I had to go back a 2nd time as well. The roots wrapped under my jaw bone…it was awful. Looked like someone sucker punched me.
Rusty – Awww Rusty needed his mama!
Celia – LMBO!!! No cooler temps expected here for a long time. Great butterfly pic!
Mau – I thought I heard slurping coming from the West!
Bernie – Great job! Be sure to post pics as things progress!
Pepper – Your temps made me wince…
Celia – Pretty bud pic!
Adina – Pretty flowers! Look – it's bird, it's a plane - it's a hummingbird!

75.2 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 68 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 °F

Today
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog early in the morning. Chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 8090. West winds 5 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon. Chance of rain 70 percent.

I ran across this going through files!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Again this early morning about an hour ago, Whining at me, again! Lightning hits alot like so angry one! So, as yesterday, I mow other house and sure I has to somthing with tree! So, I go ahead to put on market as I have to clean up inside and get done look good sooner...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good job on your daughter's house, Bernie!
Celia: I can hardly wait to see that sunflower in full bloom.
Adina: lovely flowers. That last photo looks like zinnias to me.
Sharon: LOL at Prissy!
Rusty: we had a storm here last night, too. A HUGE clap of thunder woke me up at 2:05 a.m. and my little dog, Friday, started barking at it. LOL

Yes, we got more rain during the wee hours of the morning--Hooray!

Today: Scattered T-Storms
High 92°F
Precip 60%
Wind: SE 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 73%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:05 AM CT
Avg. High: 91°F
Record High: 107°F (1980)
Tonight: Isolated T-Storms
Overnight Low 75°F
Precip 30%
Wind: S 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 81%
Sunset: 8:22 PM CT
Avg. Low: 69°F
Record Low: 58°F (1967)

My DGS, Zachary, made this motorcycle with his K'Nex when he was here last week.
He will be with me during the day every day for the rest of this week, too. :o))

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Cloudy today, but the sun is presently peeking through the clouds. It's cooled down considerably, that cool nip in the air is back! lol Selma said this morning, "finally it's cloudy!" lol Only 50°F at 10 am. Breeze from the north blowing at about 16 mph.

This is Rosa foetida 'Bicolor'

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Marilyn, those look like neat toys. What age group do you think they are suited to? BTW, the white things coming out of the amaryllis seeds are probably roots. I think that's how it works with most seeds.

Adina, if you are wondering about the critter in your photo, it is some species of sphinx moth.

Nothing new here

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 14, 2009
93 °F
Clear
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 6 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.85 in (Falling)
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Around 85 degrees, humidity in the 70s, with a steady breeze.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Adina good shot!
Try googling Hemaris Europe.
Here in our area the Sphinx or Hawk or Clearwing Moths (pick a name they go by all) are fairly common.
They ALWAYS startle you when they pop up though.
Your beds look GREAT!

Great weather day but we did finally have to do a deep watering.
We might get some rain tomorrow night. Down to 66 already.

Rann what an interesting Rose.
I really like that style.

Sharon LOVE the flying dog!

Adina here's our local Clearwing.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

An absolutely beautiful day! Jean and I went to Western Garden and she got a pretty pink double coneflower. I'm jealous now that I've seen it n her garden. She also got Corsican mint, a pretty dark Coral Bell and two colors of creeping speedwell. They should fill in her shady spots nicely.

I picked 2 trailing Sweet Potato vines, Blackie and Sweet Caroline, and Orange Symphony Osteospermum for a hanging basket.

It was 82º and slightly breezy. A perfect day to plant.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's sunny again! :-) Yesterday turned out to be too cold and windy for the girls to go outside .... they're getting really picky! lol It did feel positively cold yesterday after so many warm days .... not really warm this morning, but at least it's pretty calm. 54°F

Thanks Ric - it is a very flashy color, at least compared to the roses that are hardy here. Unfortunately it's plagued with black spot. This is the first time it flowers properly for me so I'm very happy about that.

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Rusty – You get your storms in the morning and we get ours in the evening. Wishing you well on the sell of the house.
Mau – Zachary did a good job on the motorcycle!
Rann- Beautiful bloom!
Celia- I hope you are paying Isis for helping out!
Rann – Love the waterfalls!

74.7 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 75 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 71 °F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft

Now
Fog will increase across northeast Florida and southeast Georgia through the early morning hours...with visibilities generally lowering to between 1 and 3 miles. Localized dense fog will reduce the visibility below a half-mile. Motorists should drive with extreme caution while driving through fog. Use low beams...reduce driving speed...and allow for plenty of room between you and other cars. You can overtake another vehicle quickly in poor visibilities...so slow down and drive defensively.

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Dental cleaning at 8am so I have to run. Have a great day!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Almost 70 º and a bit of fog in the air. It didn't rain last night. I've been busy in the flower beds as usual. The free pile I set out yesterday afternoon is completely gone. Adina, I have been taking pictures of it, LOL! I'll post a couple later.

Sharan, thanks for the new thread :o) I think I can catch up, LOL!

Kathleen, having to hold the tent pole must have been a bit scary for everyone!

Marsue, we've been praying for no rain, LOL! It brings mosquitos!

Rann, the girls are adorable! I love the white River Photo!

Rusty, at least you knew a good storm was brewing. I hate sleeping thru one, especially for a good rumble of thunder!

Kwanjin, love the description of the disappearing cats, ROTFL!!! I'm glad it didn't hit your place! Nice! I love being able to get those tiny quick butterflies!

Kelli, I'm so glad we're not brutally hot.

Marsue, I have 3 root canaled teeth. I hear you!

Bernie, I envy the new rooms and garage. That is a lot of hard work!

Pepper, don't let that heat up here!!

Ric, I agree, we're to be in the low 70's the rest of the week. I'm getting the Spring I missed and I love it!

Adina, lovely Zinnias!

Sharon, love the action shot!

Rusty, I hope selling the house goes well.I hope the tree comes down easy too. I have a daylily just like that, but no name for it. I just call it Adeline's Orchid, for the woman I got it from.

Mau, love the tiny motorcycle!

Rann, Bicolor is a nice color. I bet it really shows up in the garden.

I usually have a clearwing too. They are so unusual here, and fast. It's hard to get a good picture.

Sharon, good luck at the dentist!

I love getting my teeth cleaned - I passed with flying colors!!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! All's quiet here in the mountains of WV. The sun is shining brightly, peas are drying for the planting next year, & Zucchini bread (and lots of it) is to be made to go into the freezer today. Our morning temp is 66°! It should be another great day!
At Dublin...
Clear: 70°F
Feels like: 70°F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 50°
Humidity: 49%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 5:38 AM
Sunset: 8:26 PM
UV Index: 3 Moderate

Rusty, I think that your day lily is called Edna Spalding! I have have one & absolutely love the color!
Kelli, Glad things aren't Too terribly hot for ya! ;) I thought about your Koi today..how are they doing?
Celia, Sounds like you had a heap of fun 'flower shopping' yesterday! LOL! at the 'green bean tiara'! Great shot of the Sun Flower! LOL! About your cats! Jack likes to hide under JW's bed! And yes, JW is all over the place! ( I stay rather pooped when I keep him...but it's a happy sort of tired!)
Sharon, LOL! Garrett calls getting his teeth cleaned...getting them 'tickled'! He's called it that since he was little. :) And Prissy doesn't look like she's enjoying her company! She looks as if she wants to say, 'Does Callie really have to be this close?' or 'Yes, you caught me sleeping with the cat!' So funny! And LOL! about 'Jack's Path'! He does have it fairly worn down! :D
Adina, The more pics that you post of your gardens, the more I love them! :D
Mau, at least the worst of the dental work is finished! I've never had a root canal done before...hope to never have one! From what I've heard from folks is that it's certainly not much fun. Glad that you got some rain...As hot as you've been down there, I'd say you could use some more! I do believe your DGS is good making things w/ his hands! Great Job! At this point all JW does is put rocks in his pockets! He has a collection every day & if you don't check his pockets...put it this way...I've washed rocks! :D
Bernie! You sure did a huge amount of work in a short time! It's gonna look Great!

I can't remember who asked, but I still call JW, JW. Everyone else calls him Joseph...& since he doesn't do too many 2 syllable words..he calls himself Joe.

Have A Great Day! Everybody!
Joey

Rusty, here's Edna Spalding...

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Garrett's been 'toying' w/ his truck. Boy's have to have toys!

(new tires & wheels)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Cloudy and cool.
I just picked about 4 quarts of Green Beans.
They at least are ripening.
The tomatoes are just sitting there green......
Zucchini are just forming... we're trying a white one this year too.

Well off to the yard. Back w/ comments later... hopefully when the rain starts...lol!

Here's the newest Project.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.