Thompson & Morgan 99 Cent Seed Sale

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Just thought I'd pass along the info. Thompson & Morgan is now having a 99 cent seed sale through July 16. There are many seeds listed for 99 cents although the only Echinacea seed offered in the sale is "Pink Parasol". I ordered a few different seed packs and the total shipping was $3.95.
Also just thought I'd post a photo from a few days ago of Echinacea "Tomato Soup" blooming with the blooms of hybrid hibiscus "High Voltage" in the background.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

My Tomato Soup looks just like your plant. That's a good one for the South obviously! It's loaded with blooms. My Mac 'n Cheese is still alive, but it isn't trying to bloom at all. It does have healthy leaves. Maybe that one will take off next year if it doesn't disappear this winter.

If your Tomato Soup looks just like mine then maybe they're related. LOL. My new Mac N Cheese is still in its growing mode, but at least it's looking more promising. The one that continues to amaze me at just how well it grows and blooms in its very first season is Coconut Lime. It is already larger than most of my second year Echinacea.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Very pretty. Still on the fence about this one. I will have to see how well everyone's come back in the spring. I knew you would be impressed with CL. The growth and blooms of this one is hard to beat.

If you like Coconut Lime, you will love Meringue too. The blooms are larger and it seems to have the same great performance.

I can understand wanting to wait longer on Tomato Soup ngam. I just wish it held up with its real red color, but it fades quite a bit. My Sundown blooms also open up very red and then fade. Here's a photo of my typical "Sundown" blooms when they first open. They only stay this red for 2 or 3 days.
I've been tossing around the idea of adding Meringue. Also been thinking about perhaps adding a second Tiki Torch and planting it out back in less sun. I like the idea of having two of the same variety in separate areas when it relates to how much sun/filtered sun they receive. It would be much easier to draw some conclusions when it relates to the "amount of sun" issue.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Great idea on the duplicate plantings, Jon. I may do the same the next time I add cones.

Here's a link to a discussion about the T&M sale on the seed trading forum. There's a link to a coupon code for $10 off there. I used it and it worked for me for the sale priced items. I got a bunch of seeds for a super price! Worth a try.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1011053/

Jon - I think from now on I'll buy two plugs and put one in the sun and one in part sun. I have been doing that with many of them already.

All the plants I've tried did best with less afternoon sun. I can't believe how much better these new plants do in a more sheltered place.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I like the looks of Meringue too. It is a short one so finding a spot to squeeze it in will be a challenge. Isn't that what winter is for, to open up a spot here or there for a new plant. LOL

Sounds like a good plan maniac. I only have multiple plants of one variety in different sun locations so it's impossible to draw any conclusions right now. I'm not really into moving established plants around so this is a better option. I recall reading somewhere that Echies generally adapt to the amount of sun they are given and that moving them around isn't the best idea.

That's if you can remember exactly where things were the prior year ngam!!! LOL I'll bet plenty of people up north find the perfect spot and start digging and then quickly discover there's something there already.

Jon - I moved my Mac 'N Cheese forward a little so it would get a little more sun. I figured I had nothing to lose. It is growing now too. It has 2-3 growth points now and one is taller than the plant tag! LOL. I think moving them is often times the best solution, especially with some of the new varieties that are finicky.

No, no, no. Don't touch it. LOL

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Lots of plant tags and pics of beds so I can remember who is where. After a couple of years they are safe but that first spring, let's just say it could be ugly without tags. My biggest problem is that when the "I really NEED that new plant" syndrome hits in the dead of winter with a foot of snow covering the garden, I always think there is more room in the bed than there really is to squeeze in one more plant. Whoops looks like less lawn to mow again. LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You might not get that seed order. I placed an order online a couple of years ago with a free shipping code I had and I never got anything. No notice from T&M either. I believe there is a notice on their front page that says coupon codes aren't usable with sales.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.