SCABIOSA DEADHEAD OR NOT

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I would like to know if you should deadhead the Scabiosa or not? I started to deadhead them than quit for I was not sure if I should or not, like to keep them blooming.

North Augusta, ON

I do. It seems to prolong them a bit.

Boston, MA

I deadhead too. Gives me more frequent blooms.

Ayah

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I deadhead mine also. Mine are finally slowing down since blooming from May, with deadheading. Sad not to have their beautiful blooms anymore!

Thumbnail by art_n_garden
North Augusta, ON

Which one is that? He's nice and low and compact! Mine need tomato cages to keep them upright.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I hear that! My others are unruly. This particular one is 'Misty Butterflies' and I love it -- it lives at the front of the border and the bees love it. Second year and it only got to 6 - 8" tall.

North Augusta, ON

Nice!

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

With deadheading, my scabiosia bloom from May through August. I love it.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Does scabiosa absolutely have to have full, full sun or can it tolerate part sun in the South? I just planted a few in my part sun bed but not sure if it will tolerate it like my echinaceas do. I find that a lot of perennials that say full sun don't really mean it around here and just do much better in part sun. I just don't know if this one is one of them or not! Thanks

North Augusta, ON

The ones I have growing in mostly shade are far nicer plants than those in full sun. That is Canadian mostly shade so they'd be fine for you ^_^

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Wonderful news, thank you! I originally had them in full sun and they looked pitiful, so moved them on a whim and was hoping they would be happier there!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey fun:) Mine get some shade and really do well there. Matter of fact, I am quite short on full blazing sun. I get much more out of them if I deadhead regularly as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.