Compassion for Handicapped Gardeners #6

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I know from experience that long threads are really hard to download on dial up. I don't know if anyone on here is still on dial up but just in case - - - -.

We had what we term a tonado 'backlash' this morning. We got about 1 1/2" more rain from it. Terrible winds and torrential rains. The old elm tree lost another wrist size limb & 4 or so smaller ones are hanging by bark only. Kyle trimmed that tree as high as he felt safe going last summer. I do wish it was off to just a large trunk. That would leave the huge limb with the tire swing still in place. Our children grew up playing on that swing as have some of the grandchildren so we don't want to lose it. Once it passed it drizzled for an hour or 2 then the sun came out and it has been lovely.

We haven't run the big window AC for nearly 4 days now and it is still so nice in the house. The smaller kitchen one and the one in Sheila's room can't be doing that much as they don't even feel like they are putting very cool air right in front of them. I have one LR & one of my BR windows open with fans in front of them for fresh air.

I need to get moving and fold clothes then get lunch for tomorrow ready. GOD bless & keep each of you.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Katiebear, the last time I ran into you in my erratic DG forum rambling you had conjunctivitis. (I think it was Healthy Living?) Did that clear up?

I am blind (functionally blind, if you want to get technical about it.) so I guess I obsess when it comes to vision. I think anywhere gnats are a problem, conjunctivitis is also.

I envy you your Flame tree. I am a little too far north for them now. I grow as many tropicals as I can and go to all the work of nursing them through the winter. I do all I can to fudge a zone and convince the plants they are one zone south. But, it is hard to fudge with a Flame tree. Have you heard the song, Flame Tree done by Sarah Blasko? A little melancholy but beautiful. It is about a man returning to his hometown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yZW

I am trying to envision where you are on the map in my head. Can’t see the other kind anymore. Somewhere in the general vicinity of La Paz?

Leaflady, MO sounds wonderful, right now. Like Katiebear, I dread my next electric bill.

MO sounds wonderful MINUS the tornadoes, of course. Crazy weather this year.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Just fpr continuity, we came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995574/#new

We are mostly disabled gardeners dealing with pain issues, but we welcome all fellow travelers.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

we travel, we trudge and sometimes we fudge
it's gardening that we love to do.
If you have a problem, some crick or old pain,
we'd sure love to help you get gardening again!
We're none of us perfect,
oh boy is that true.
We just want you to know that we care about you!
^_^

edited for better syntax (single word added)

This message was edited Jul 12, 2009 10:29 PM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

BB, i think the poem is so cute - and true.

mulege, Mexico

Love the poem, or pome, as Bob Dylan used to say.

My eyes are still a little sticky but pretty much better. We had clouds and a little rain which is all it took for us to lose electricity for ten loooong hours today. It just came back on. I'm glad to hear from everyone here.

On my part, I tend to bristle easily if I think I'm being criticized. I get even more sensative (overly-sensative?) when I'm tired and sick. I harbor no resentments towards anyone. Which reminds me that my mother was mad at me for at least thirty years for any number of reasons, then her memory began to fade and we became good friends. There's more to this story; I'll save it for another time.

I'm going to listen to the song on YouTube, then go to my air conditioned bed/sewing room.

night all,
katie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Have a good night, Katie. I pray you get the restorative rest/sleep you need and awaken refeshed in the morning. GOD bless & keep you & yours.

Goodnite Katie and sleep well in that cool room! ^_^
may God bless you an keep you in perfect peace.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's wonderful to have leaflady posting again! I hope you feel better, (((Katie)))

Loved your poem, Sheri. Hope you didn't find the song depressing, Katiebear. Sometimes I like listening to sweet, sad songs when I'm out of sorts. I don't know why, but it makes me feel better. It seems backwards, but it works.

I didn't find the song...only a site that had many songs. Thought I looked well, but maybe just missed it.
both me and my Mom make up little rhymes off the cuff like that. I do little silly songs to. just a big old kid at heart ^_^

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKjd41WZygU

Is this the song you're looking for?

must have been, thanks Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No problem.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the welcome back, Katie. I don't know why, but I let myself almost take a vacation from the computer for a few weeks while I was busy as a one armed paperhanger. I read more than I posted. Now I am busy but seem to have more interest in life in general. Just not the hectic pace it was for a while. I tire in the evenings when I finally finish a day at work then work at home & can't think of anything to say.

After work today I cut down some tree saplings and sprouts with the electric chain saw. My supervisors birthday was today and we had a nice party for her. She is a sweetheart.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Thanks, Carrie. Jim sent it this way. Don't know what I did wrong when I tried to pass it along. That is a different site but it is the song. I thought Katiebear mentioning Flame trees was a strange coincidence.

Sorry about the confusion, Katiebear.

Jim is having a hard time. His mother is in bad shape. She is not quite mentally grasping the fact that her eldest son is gone. They are determined to keep her living at home though. Neighbors are volunteering to help make that possible. One of the upsides of living in a tight community.

Sheri, it is so sad about the BB. Are you O.K.?

Yes, thank you. The Daddy was feeding mealworms to Mama yesterday. The males will do that when they are bonding before mating. I do have a baffled pole with a Bluebird nestbox in the yard an am hoping for 1 final nesting using that pole. IT should be safe from predators and is fairly new to my yard. Put up after the last incident, but the female had already begun nesting in the old box, so I plugged the hole. this is the only one that will be available for use from now on.
I'm even wondering if a Chipmunk got them. there are lots of them around and they an scale a brick wall. That also would explain one disappearing one day and then 3 the next. Guess I'll never know.
It is so very hard to see someone gradually fade away into that mental void where they don't remember anyone or anything and become almost someone else. I have had some patients who became very angry and profane when they had been quite meed and loving in their lucid life.
Hugs, Sheri

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My father was never meek or loving, but since his stroke (in 2007) he is a very different person, and it is sad. It's not like anything was added to his personality, because he was always pretty angry and rigid, but there used to be a veneer of socialization on top of the angry, stubborn toddler, and now it seems that angry little boy is all that's left.

Some of my sighted friends thought it was very odd that I received sympathy cards from blind friends when my Leaderdog, Stanley, died. Some people just don't get that other living things, besides people, can be a part of your emotional life. It is good that you have so many people who understand on the Bird Watching forum.

Those in my family are so short-lived senility is something I have never had to deal with. I am going to have to educate myself.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

leaf, You simply amaze me the things you do. I've got to ask? Are you one of those petite little ladies like i picture you? I can just see ya climbing a tree.I did'nt know they had electric chainsaws.
I know what you mean Kay. At this point in my life my pets are my kids. They are also good kids even tho a bit ornery. I have always loved animals anyway. Kay you ought to come over to the pet forum. We always manage to get on our soapbox in defence of animals.
My sympathy to Jim. It is hard to do or even know what is best for our elderly sometimes so we just do the best we can. Better add it is equally bad to know what to do for our young people too.
Sherri, I keep praying for the little bluebirds. Chipmonks don't eat meat do they? I'm not sure.
Keep good thoughts
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Kay, how long do you think Jim will be up there (or up here)? I imagine that must be tough for you. The un-mowed grass, for one thing. My best to everyone.

Carrie

(Kay) I will return you to your regularly scheduled Amargian on the 17th. I've learned a lot here though. Will probably still do The Weekly Amargia Report on "Still Laughing," but I like to give Jim his own space where he can grumble if he wants. (About T.A.P.'s, about working with V.I.'s, about ME. Now, you know what he is grumbling about.

I was able to get the push mower going today so maybe he won't have to come home to a jungle. (He is so funny about his new riding lawn mower we can't resist teasing him. It's a "No touch!") I definately have a new appreciation for all the things he does around here. Jenny and I just do the mule work. It is really Jim who makes it all click together.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, do i hear absence makes the heart grow fonder. LOL
Glad you're going to hang around. It's sweet of you to give Jim his space too. We kinda like him too.
Ya know, I listen to my DD complain about her DH. But if i said one thing ugly about him she'd be ll over me. So i just let her vent and say nothing and she always thanks me for listening. Maybe i've learned something after all these years. It took long enough.
Looking forward to the Amargia report.
I'm tryin to think of something to report on regularly. So far no lighted light bulb.
Might tell of oddball websites i come across googling.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Uh Kay' Where are you? Putting an SOS out for Kay!!! It's the weekend.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I could report on the state of my rotten teeth! First dentist appt. in ten years was this summer, courtesy of Mom. First 4 appointments were all with hygienist, that's how much cleaning I needed. Today I met with the actual dentist for the first time!!! Yikes. It turns out the reason I've been having so much mouth pain is because my mouth is full of cracks! I need two crowns (!!) on my bottom left, which is the most urgent spot, so we'll do those first. My teeth are falling apart! This reporter feels very violated. That's the way it is, Monday, July 20, 2009, dateline Milton Massachusetts.

Janice~ Gulf Coast, MS(Zone 9a)

Hello and Hi to everyone in the thread.. I hope you don't mind if I listen in (lurk) a little..

Janice

(Jim) Sorry folks. I kept your laughing reporter too busy massaging my back to report this week. Am I becoming a total wimp or are airplane seats more uncomfortable than they were a few years ago. Never mind. I don't think I want to hear an honest answer to that question.

Hello Donna. I'm Jim. Kay's other half. And, I don't grumble any more than I deem necessary to maintain my sanity. I'm sorry that you are going through such rough times.

Very happy to hear you are doing so much better, Birdie. Dropping some of the extra weight I'm carrying around and weaning myself off Tramadol are the goals I am setting myself in the upcoming months.

Thanks for keeping my dearly beloved out of too much mischief while I was away, Cando and Carrie. She gets serious cabin fever when it is raining and she can't go outside. I told her when she re-ups with DG she should change from Kudzu1, to RainyDayKay.

She re-organized some things while I was gone, including the way our computer systems are set up. In the future Kudzu1 will be Kay and I will be Seacanepain.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Welcome aboard Janice, We're glad you are here and don't be a stranger. One of our other members is from MS. So we know how hot and dry you probably are.
Jim we're glad you are back. We missed ya. Kay did great keeping us informed.
Uncomfortable seats??? You mean they have'nt taken airplane seats out yet and made you stand? Love that name sea-cane-pain. it rhymes!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Are you really having two accounts, Jim? Kudzu is Kay and Seacanepain? Will you Dmail each other, ha ha ha?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Welcome back Jim...sounds like it was a hard trip. I'm glad Kay is getting her own name, though...hope you still write, too, Kay! I'm mostly a lurker lately but I read every single post and you all make my days :)

mulege, Mexico

We had a thunderstorm here last night. We had one about a month ago. They are unusual here. Good for the plants and it has a slight cooling effect. But what a mess on the patio. One gets used to a no-rain climate and a downpour wrecks havoc.

I'm still coughing from the cold I caught in LA almost a month ago. Not much energy. I just kind of ache all over.

I have gotten some work done on brownbagging my bedroom. I realize that a lot of what I am depressed about is having all the stuff from the bedroom in other parts of the house. I have to test a couple of glues to see if they will work as my concrete block walls soak up the sealer and glue and I'm running low on the recommended glue wich I have to get in the States.

The dogs have hidden the remote controls for the TV and DVD player.

Will try moving around and hope I can get some work done.

katie

Midland City, AL

Maybe I will write my wife love letters and leave them in D mail. Wouldn’t that be romantic?

Initially, I gave Kay the DG subscription as a way to get her to spend more time on the computer. I invested in all this computer access equipment for blind people, but she wasn’t using it. I thought if I combined computers with gardening she would get past her technophobia. At first, it didn’t seem to be working so I started using the DG subscription myself.

Now, she has started a Garden Journal and is trying to ferret out the botanical names for Amargia’s plants. (Plant Files) More recently she’s started hanging out on Sustainable with Darius Van D’Rhys. (Her second favorite DG writer I’m sure, Carrie.) Now, there is keeping up with everyone on Accessible. And, she’s getting into plant and seed trading.

The way things are now, to get time for myself on DG, I needed my own subscription.

Kudzu, for those fortunate enough not to know, is an extremely invasive plant in the Deep South. The joke locally is that Kay is like kudzu. You can cut it to the ground, burn it or poison it.. It may lay low for a time, but it will always come back stronger than ever. Since I stuck Kay with Kudzu1, she stuck me with sea cane pain. Sea cane or elephant grass (Arundo donax) is yet another invasive southern plant. Just as bad as kudzu if it has a source of water.

Hay Katiebear sounds like your dogs are interesting! hope you fee better.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Welcome, Jim! My husband never Dmailed me a love-letter - I think it would be quite romantical. Now we know (or I do) about sea cane. Thanks for introducing me to yet another charmingly invasive plant!

mulege, Mexico

I'm back. Twisted my own arm and got some work done. I feel better. I got about 1/4 of the bedroom floor sealed and that was my goal so good for me.

It's hot and humid so I will relax while the floor dries.

Found the remote controls which had not been taken out in the rain. Thank goodness.

It's hard to get used to the fact that it is hot and humid here until mid-October so any small burst of energy that allows me to get some work done is a blessing.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

katie

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

yes I told Janice about this thread the last week. She and her 2 beautiful daughters came over to meet me the other day. They are going to come back and raid my garden when we are all up to it. Nice to meet someone close to me that understands what we go through each day. She is in town so now I can stop by for a quick visit with her on the rare occassion that I go into town and she can come see me when she heads up to the feed store. Pretty cool isn't it!!!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

It is neat Donna, Now you need to meet up with scraps in Miss. Then we will all be jealous that you are so close. Be careful we all may come raid your garden. How many melons do you have? LOL!! Speaking of scraps.... Has anyone heard from her? Hope she did'nt make herself sick with all that painting in the heat.
Katie, you'll have to talk with your dogs and tell them that they should bring you the remotes not take them away.
What kind of winters do you have? Probably none at all!! Now i'm jealous.
Jim, Please do write Kay love letters. Even little notes are things to treasure. Want some e-card sites?
We've got some Kudzu here. At least in the valley.Those boogers take over tall trees.
Elephant grass i had'nt heard of is it anything like Johnson Grass?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

we are right on the coast. Think Scraps is up north from up

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I am jealous, for sure! On the North East forum (pretty much New England) we have RoundUps - get-togethers - fairly frequently, but they're usually at someone's in-accessible house! Lots of people live near enough each other to visit, but that STUPID wheelchair makes it so hard. Grrrr.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I was wondering where scraps was myself...anyone heard from her?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.