HELP - cannas not growing (1 foot tall after 2 months)

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

I'm at a loss - I have good soil, we've had lots of rain - but, my cannas (bought from recent co-op) are doing almost nothing. they're about a foot tall, two leaves, which seems pretty sad after almost 2 months.

Can any experts offer some suggestions - is the issue fertilization? And what would you recommend. I'm somewhat frustrated, spent a fair amount of money, dedicated space, and almost nothing. I don't want to give up on them, especially since I will desperately need some color in August and later, but I am losing a bit of faith.

Or am I just too impatient?

Thanks in advance,
Sandra

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Mine that I got from the co-op are not doing well either. THey are sad little things if they came up. My old red leaf ones I have always planted are 6 ft.tall and blooming.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Hmmmmm - maybe I'll post to the original co-op thread to see if others are having same problems.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I would be interested in finding out also.

Marlboro, NJ

you may have the mosaic virus on those cannas. Check out the pictures on the net by hart canna in england.

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

I bought cannas & glads in a co-op and 2/3 of the glads never sent a flower stalk, and the cannas are all enemic at best. :(

Sbarr-

Now that its the end of September how have your cannas done? Did you plant rhizomes that were small? You know, last spring I got some red stripe cannas in a trade from a fellow daves garden member. I think the tallest one got about 4 foot high. This spring I planted them in my east flower bed. They are now huge! Maybe your rhizomes just need to mature?

Bubba1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.