ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #158- Countdown to the Veggies

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1008025/#new

The fireworks are over and it's time for serious gardening.

Thumbnail by henryr10

whew i thought i lost you guys ?
wow you sure lucked out on the rain Ric
we got 5.5 " well that is what i collected in my buckets and i measured with my tape measure
where the winds good to you ?
we had pretty good winds also. blew my gladys right to the ground *sigh*
blew over my potatos too and some peppers
i m on my way to get daconil for my plants . fungus is amuong us !! hope i can find some ?
well off and waiting for T to call from china

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Actually we could have used a bit more rain Sue.
Winds weren't bad either.
A couple of gusts is all.
I think Marcy down to Joyce got the worst of it.

Pond Tour Coming up...... on July 25/26

http://www.aquascapes.com/photos.asp?view=about

Williamsburg Garden Club has their tour next Saturday from 11 -4.
Ric

This message was edited Jul 12, 2009 9:42 AM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, things are a little slow at work so I had time to help clean out the garage, take pics of seedlings I'm growing and enjoy Nolan. He loves to be outside!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

After seeing what he did to this flower, I don't think he'll be allowed in the gardens once he gets mobile. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

This shirt was a gift from a DGer. There is a second shirt that is white with little bones all over it. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Isn't he precious?? The look in his eyes worries me. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

The look in his eyes Should worry you ... as the Motther of 5 Sons, trust me... I know this... That second pic with the flower is absolutely precious Michelle... Congrats to all of you...He sure is a beautiful healthy baby...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Dusty. A few minutes later, I took a pic of him covered in pollen-looks like cheese. LOL

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Well you need to quit fertilizing him....He was just BORN fer petes sakes.. I can't believe how big he is and sitting up already...But then mine were premies, and that size when they were a year old..

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Chele' he's a handsome devil! And you are letting him eat your daylilies?

Just popped in to see where Darius is hanging out these days.

We all seem to stay pretty quiet in our own regions. Gotta go looking for old friends.

Hot down here. Getting ready to move some unhappy gingers to a better place, and find those pregnant onions and move them where I can see and use them.

Have a great Sunday yall!

Molly

Gloriosas blooming like crazy here.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

After the storms here, I lost internet signal. It was mostly bluster, only 9/10 inch of rain, just enough moisture to make it very humid.

Nolan is sure a sweetie, or looks to be a sweetie!!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, I nominate that picture for Bloomeater of the Day!

is that red hair i see on him ! i m sooo jealous ! what a precious pic
we got tons of rain you are more the welcome to have some LOL
well my garden is really on the blink. THW are eating my potatos and my tomatos , then i got a blight on my potatos ? and i m hoping for the best . I sprayed with daconil and lets see if it helps any.
well tonight is beer night for me LOL
kids are at neighbors whew i got a break
Bonnie what else can i do with okra ? i was going to pickle it and ??? what do you do with it ? besides i may make some gumbo that is all i know LOL . sorry to be such a newbie on okra . " Darn West Coast genes of mine . " "ack"
ok not much else
kids are home
later
sue

Sue, i bring it in wash it, and then slice it across in about 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch slices, coat it in cornmeal, and fry it. It is yummy. I use it in soups and stews, some people cook it with tomatoes, but that is too slimy for me. Have you tried looking at recipes on the internet, I am sure that it could be used in other ways.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It makes GREAT Compost! LOL!

Molly good to see you here!
Beautiful Gloriosas!
What can you use Preg Onions for?
I have a 30+ year old pot of them.

I've seen that look on Chele's kids MANY times.
LOOK OUT! LOL!

Started the next project......
Ric

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sue, you can slice and dry okra; folks who do say it makes a taste snack, like chips....

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Chele...bring him up to me! I'll let him eat my daylilies!! Well..not all of them..but...!!
I can't get over how big he is either. Like Dusty said...you must be fertilizing him too much!!! He is adorable.!!!
Waaaaaaaaa...I want one!!! NOT!!! Did I really say that????? I meant ...another grandbaby of course!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

This is a pic of my GGD...age 3...she had just given herself a haircut...but didn't mean to...LOL!! Not sure why she was crying...thinkin maybe momma got mad at her???
Her name is Tessa.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Awww, poor little thing! Tell momma it grows back, lol.

Sue here is a link I found with some okra recipes, and they sound yummy. http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Search.aspx?WithTerm=okra

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Marcy! That is a great picture!

Only one of my kids ever cut their hair and I cried MY eyes out! We still give her a hard time about it.

good morning
Thanks Bonnie . I just never think to look online for receipes duh will check them out .
ok i will fry them up tonight and see how it goes. everything is good fried IMHO :)
aawww poor thang . Marcy the tears welling up in her eyes is priceless
Chelle had a dream with you in it ! you got stung by a bee. :( and you told me to get you a drink of water and in a sippy cup ??? yeah weird huh ? LOL
darius i will look into drying them . That sound good also. I have a new book on drying food.
well i m off and running
have a good day

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue you have some WEIRD Dreams....LOL ;-)!

A friend of mine's little sister cut his hair while he was asleep.
He was in his teens...... a Burr was the only option... this in the 60's....

Off to Lowe's.
This new project is burning up the wood....

Ric

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I finally caught up with you all. Whew!

Stella's recovering well, has her appetite back and then some. She's still wheezy and coughing up stuff, but she's getting her puppy mojo back and getting into everything. Howie said yesterday she made a better dog when she was sick, but we're glad she's getting better! LOL Sarah is coughing, but doesn't seem affected other than that. Emma gets the occasional reverse snorts, but nothing else. I'm crossing my fingers that Stella had the worst of it and the older girls will fight it off better.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well TWICE...I have typed here...and lost it. My fault though!
Ok...here we go. Good morning all!
Yeah...Tessa's grandma...my daughter...told her mom to give her a burr.! I think maybe...a beautician could sorta fix it though. When Ashley was that age ...she did the same thing...and her mom cried too. We took her to the beautician that I go to...and she cut it short..(she had long hair)...and it looked really cute. And it grew..like Ky said! LOL!
Ahhhh...kids!
Kimberley...glad to hear your pup seems to be feeling better! Just like having a sick kid..huh?
Hmmmm.... I hear this sound like my washer is stuck...better go check it out! You all have a great day! Yeaaaaaaaa...I get to stay home today!!!

just made some more black raspberry jam . This time i left the seeds in . Just didn't have enough to make seedless. Yes it will reduce your recipe by alot. ususally half. and not to mention squishing them through a strainer is the pits ! to lazy
so i got 8 , 12 Oz jars and 3 pint jars and two half pint jars LOL i ran out of jars and was using up what i had left over.
so i think i made it to sugary ?
saw momma deer with young today again
i m getting ready for cookie making and bunt cake cooking for farmers market .
GW so glad the pup is getting better :) yeah big cheers for stella !

Evening folks, it has been a busy one here. PT again this morning, my appointments have been at 10:30, and by the time I get up, I can't get much done till it is time to dress to go, then when I get back, only a few hours to work before it is time to cook supper, so today, I changed my next 2 appointments to 4:00. Figured I could accomplish some work, have some supper prep done, have PT and then home to finish cooking. I hope it works as well as it sounds on paper!!

Sue, where are you getting your raspberries? DH picked about a gallon of wild blackberries today, so I washed and froze them. Will do something with them later. How was the fried okra tonight.

Ric, I hear you on the best place for okra is the compost bin. Not all of us feel like that. You just probably haven't had it fixed right. What is the project? Or would you rather wait and give us pics to show it?

Kimberly, glad that Stella is feeling better, and glad that what she had isn't too hard of the other dogs. They are just like kids, what one gets they pass it on.

Marcy, the hair will grow back. I think we all have a hair cutting story to tell. When DS was about 2, he cut a big chunk out of the front, and had to have a burr. DGD did the same, only hers was not so noticible. Of course this was back in the days when DIL and I were warring, and I got all the blame cause she was at my house, and evidently I wasn't watching her close enough!! Then there was the time that DS, who is a barber, trimmed her bangs, and there was holy he** to pay for that!! So evidently hair plays a big role in who we are.

I didn't get squat done today, except a couple of loads of laundry. By the time I got home from PT it was too hot to work much outside, so I cleaned and vacuumed the pool, and called that work. Hehe, DH still believes me when I tell him it is hard work.

Pt is helping my back. The exercises they are having me do is for strengthening the lower back muscles, and I am down to about 1 pain pill a day, vs, before PT, about 6-8 per day. I think after this week, unless they add other exercises, I will discontinue the PT and do the exercises and moist heat here at home. The only thing I can't do it the ultrasound.

DH brought in a bucket of green beans tonight, so it will be just days before the canning here starts.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Chele I can't believe how big Nolan is. I want to play too. Here are my babies.

Thumbnail by mystic

Paulette, so precious, both of them. Bet the girl is mama to the little one, right?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh look how cute they are together! Their eyes look the same exact color. :) I'm so glad you are getting to spend time with them.

Kimberley, I hope your doggies are feeling better.

Bonnie, I'm glad to hear that the PT is helping.

Sue, I don't need a tippy cup too often these days. LOL Nolan is drinking out them though...

I'm trying to decide if I should shower or go straight to bed. We worked on the garage most of the weekend and got some weeds pulled Thursday night. The house is a wreck and I'm tired. Soccer starts next week. Sigh... I've already got one in volleyball and one in basketball, then comes soccer x5.

Nice to see y'all.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Shouting out a "Hi" to everybody on the list. I've been checking in,but not posting. Still waiting to get some decent pictures of my flowers. Chelle, the lilies are so lovely & full this year!
AFter loudly proclaiming that I'd never had a "black and blue" salvia reeturn, despite the impressive roots they put down, this year I've got three!!! Don't know what happened with that, but glad to have them since the hummers love them. Speaking of birds, I accidentally let the finch feeder run out of thistle, and found that the finches were tearing the petals off of my zinnias?!? A little weird, that.
I have pruchased a new bed, after 12 years in a twin, I'm expanding to a double bed, tempurpedic, adjustable bed with a wireless remote control. It has a 20 year warranty, so it might outlive me LOL. Now I have to get some double bed sheets. I still have some from the 70's, I think, but I need the ones with deep corner pockets. I hope the cat appreciates that I'm getting this bigger bed so he'll have planty of room and can spare a little for me, too!!! New bed arrives Thursday.
Had the 2 birthday parties last Friday & Saturday. My son turned 30, so we all had fun talking abt what we were doing when we were 30. Sister's b'day on Saturday was much lower key. My son introduced us to a series of videos on you tube-- they're titled "Hitler wants..." or "Hitler finds out..." It's clips from a bad Hitler movie, in German, with ridiculous subtitles. I highly recommend "hitler wants Burger King" and "Hitler finds out Sarah Palin has resigned." They're just goofy.

I didn't use it this year, but there's a great website for birthdays, called something like D Marie time capsule. You fill in the date & it gives newspaper headlines, price of bread & gas & a house, what songs & toys were popular, and a long list of folks who were born on that date.
OK, I'm rambling, prob due to the cheery hour at which I'm writing. Everybody take care!
Pat

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Ric,

About that Pregnant Onion, although there are some warnings in plant files about it, I had read somewhere there are healing abilities to the milk in the plant.

I do not get an allergic reaction from it nor has anyone I have used it on.

Stinging nettle, rub the milk on the sting and it takes it right away. Also works on bee/wasp stings and they say it helps cuts to heal leaving less of a scar.

I dug the plant and found several babies and a couple new bulbs with it. It had gotten overshadowed by a rose bush and somehow grass had creeped into that bed and was crowding it so it wasn't thriving as it used to. The place I moved it to has more sun and space. I may have to remember to take it up before first frost since the new place is further from the house and won't have the protection. We'll see.

Molly

good morning on my way to class
no friend okra yet Bonnie
Chelle LOL what was i thinking ??? in that dream of mine ? i hear you on soccer, don't know how you shuffle them kids around . mine start soccer this week
yikes got to run
sue

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Molly!
I'll check for sensitivity.
(I was gifted a plant a few years ago by a neighbor just before he died.
He inherited it from his Aunt.)
Robyn got stung last week and we've both been hit w/ Stinging Nettle.
First time in years... have NO idea where they came from.
Oddly we've been looking for Jewelweed for a long time too,
We found a stand not 60' from the yard. Growing IN poison ivy.... lol!

Chelle sounds like the Summer Taxi is getting ready to roll....

Pat good to hear from you!

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone.
Awww Mystic...they are soo sweet! They sure do look alike! Yeah...I think it's the eyes!
Bonnie...I don't know how you keep up with all you do! Especially with your pain level.
Don't overdo!
Pat...I have wanted one of those beds for a long time! Let us know how you like it?
Molly..good to know on that pregnant onion! Will have to try that...since I have one too.
Yeah Ric...what's the new project????
Well...talked with my son last night for a long time. He has calmed down some...now..he is getting mad...lol. So don't know what will happen. He doesn't like being played for a fool.
He agrees it's the company she is keeping...among other things. She has been talking to a guy on the computer too...met him on My Space. She says she has never met him in person...but DS isn't too sure. At this point he has trust issues.
Anyway...I told him..only you two can work it out....and he agreed with that.
Also turns out...the sister she is living with..has broken up with her hubby too!!! But he is still living there...because he has no place to go!! What a mess!
My little Ashley got to go to Kings Island today with her best friend. Those people are so good to her. They take her all kind of places with them....so their little girl has someone to be with. And its good for Ashley too.
Well..I dug up some old daylilies yesterday. They were full of grass..that kind that the roots go everywhere? And then I used Roundup and Grass be gone on that area. It's along side of my barn. Hoping to get all that killed off and outa there...so I can replant them.
Hey Sue....where did you get the black raspberries that you made jam from? My friends don't let others come in and pick...sorry.
Ok...I am off to get busy here. First...lunch...then work outside! Have a great day all!

got peaches and i bet you know what i m doing right now ??? LOL
jam jam jam jam weeee
got to run water is boiling

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Even if people haven't met, emotional attachments to members of the opposite sex can be devastating to a marriage. So sorry they're in such a state Marcy; I know that has to be hard for all of you who love them.

First fruits!
http://www.gardenwife.com/first-fruits-of-our-2009-garden

Marcy, guess I spoke too confidently, this has been a very bad day. I never know how a day is going to go, until I move around a little. I did some weeding this morning, but by 12, I knew that I would have to go in and rest, as the pain was very bad. I just hate this, hate it, I hope I get some answers soon.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Aww Bonnie...so sorry about the pain. I know the misery you must be in.
Kimberley...I agree with you about the attachments.
Well..just thought I was going to get to work outside today! The best laid plans of mice and men..is that how it goes?? Anyway... I had to run to the library...because now they are closed on Wednesdays...State cuts. And then the eye drs office called and said my new glasses were ready...so thought what the heck...while I'm out...I will run up and get those. Wow...so much easier to read the computer...lol! Love it!
And then, Dave had called to tell me they had my bread at the store...so stopped there to get that....and just now got home. Another half hour and it will be time to fix supper!
Soooo...think I will do some watering...saw some wilted things...and then fix supper...and go out after supper!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.