my willow birch is dying..HELP!!!

Reno, NV

So I've had my willow birch tree for 2 years, last year did fine, the beginning of this year it was fine until a few days ago, half the leaves have turned yellow on the tree... I feel like i'm short on time, so any suggestions would be great!!! Please help!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post a picture? Also do you have another name (either Latin or another common name) for your tree? There's no willow birch listed in Plant Files and when I googled "willow birch" it didn't come up with anything. If you're able to post a picture then someone will probably recognize it.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I wonder if it's Betula pendula 'Dalecarlica' or as it's sometimes called, Cut-Leaf Weeping Birch or Swedish Birch? If so they are susceptible to birch borer. However there are umpteen reasons why leaves would yellow so this is a best guess based on an assumption that it is a birch.

Reno, NV

i think it is called a weeping birch....i can post a pic later today..

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Look for borer exit holes on the trunk.

Reno, NV

no kids of exit holes, but the trunk is peeling...here's my pic..

Thumbnail by bevoreno
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Weeping Silver Birch

Looks OK at the moment.

Resin

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not familiar with birch diseases so there definitely could be something else going on too, but I wonder if the tree isn't planted too deep? Or has mulch piled too high around it...I can't see where the trunk starts to flare out into the roots, and generally that flare is supposed to be visible above the ground. And it's best to leave a bit of space between the mulch and the trunk of the tree. Planting too deep and piling mulch right up around the trunk can both cause rot, which could show up as the symptoms you're describing.

Reno, NV

thanks for the info... i will dig it out a bit!!! hopefully it helps!!!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd start by just pulling the mulch back a bit and see what it looks like--it could be the tree itself is planted fine and it's just mulch piled up around the trunk.

BASSWOOD, Canada

Hi,
Birches like moist soil, and the bark does peel so don't worry about that, if it is a weeping Birch, the bark will turn white as it ages.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.